Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a hammer 1 week ago. And i placed it in an area where it was getting shaded with a rock on top it. Yesterday i decided to move it to more of an open area where it gets more light. And i noticed today that it was opening on 1 side and closed on the other. That coral had already some tight polyps when i got it. But today i noticed that the right side is super closed. Like shrinked in. I dont know if its gone or what happened?

Alk is 7.5.
Mag is 1315
Calcium is 415.
Salinity is 1.025
Temp is 77
Ph 8.2

20221221_193922.jpg

Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I bought a hammer 1 week ago. And i placed it in an area where it was getting shaded with a rock on top it. Yesterday i decided to move it to more of an open area where it gets more light. And i noticed today that it was opening on 1 side and closed on the other. That coral had already some tight polyps when i got it. But today i noticed that the right side is super closed. Like shrinked in. I dont know if its gone or what happened?

Alk is 7.5.
Mag is 1315
Calcium is 415.
Salinity is 1.025
Temp is 77
Ph 8.2

View attachment 2943309
This is tissue recession due to stressors.
Hammers are not picky where they are placed but lower third of tank is often the best location due to lower light and flow area
The key is to avoid the extremes. . . . . Extreme light and Extreme water flow. While they need light for production of their energy source known as zooxanthellae, too much light will cause them to expel the zooxanthellae. Moderate light is adequate.
Too much flow causes the flesh to tear off the skeleton or get bacterial issues including brown jelly disease. They should be waving in the current but not bent over the skeleton of bouncing vigorously which leads to bailout.
They require calcium no less than 380 which I see you have met as well as assurance both phos and nitrate are not elevated. Minimum alk is 7.8
What test kits are you using ?

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
E

endlessrealm

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's definitely not happy, but you really don't have anything to lose at this point.
When i took that picture the light were off. So it wasnt all happy. But im not sure why would the right side shrink that bad. Maybe because its new to my tank still adjusting not sure.

OP
OP
E

endlessrealm

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is tissue recession due to stressors.
Hammers are not picky where they are placed but lower third of tank is often the best location due to lower light and flow area
The key is to avoid the extremes. . . . . Extreme light and Extreme water flow. While they need light for production of their energy source known as zooxanthellae, too much light will cause them to expel the zooxanthellae. Moderate light is adequate.
Too much flow causes the flesh to tear off the skeleton or get bacterial issues including brown jelly disease. They should be waving in the current but not bent over the skeleton of bouncing vigorously which leads to bailout.
They require calcium no less than 380 which I see you have met as well as assurance both phos and nitrate are not elevated. Minimum alk is 7.8
What test kits are you using ?
Hanna checkers and salifret. + i have my apex trident.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
E

endlessrealm

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little early for that type of coral, but not crazy. Unfortunately, I do not think it will make it. I hope I am wrong...
Its 1 week old. Ill be surprised if it dies that fast.
Thats how it looked before i moved it. But because im new and i didnt know better i moved it to a higher spot with more light thinking it will extend more if i give it mkre light but i guess i was wrong. Hope its only shrinked in and not dead.

Attachments

• 20221220_094557.mp4
    19.7 MB
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
E

endlessrealm

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video makes me feel like it needs more flow. Just a shot in the dark.
Thats how it looked in the store. Even with adequate flow it doesnt move much just because how tight the polyps are.

Attachments

• PXL_20221212_201631182-1.jpg
    PXL_20221212_201631182-1.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 17
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
E

endlessrealm

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is everything else looking in the tank? Are you calibrating your salinity meter to reference solution? Have you taken par readings on your tank?
Everything else is thriving and looking pretty good. My salinity i check it with 3 method a hydrometer, and the milwaukee one, + refractometer. And they all legit the same number or -1 difference. I did take the par. My xr15 radion running at ab+ 65% i get 170-180 on most of the spots. And 300 at the absolute top. Sand area 70-100 at most.

OP
OP
E

endlessrealm

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
170-180 is a good spot imo for hammers so that probably isn’t the problem. Could anything nearby be affecting? Maybe try moving it in the tank. I find hammers like medium indirect flow.
So i got that hammer literally 1 week ago. Its just when you are new the devil start talking to you to do some bad stuff haha. So in the video above it was open on that same side. But i was looking 1 day at the store picture and mine and was like okay theres a piece of rock on top it and its shaded let me move it. So i decided to move it yesterdah to an open area. And thats how it looks like today.

Attachments

• 20221221_202330.mp4
    9.7 MB
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

csturgis1989

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i got that hammer literally 1 week ago. Its just when you are new the devil start talking to you to do some bad stuff haha. So in the video above it was open on that same side. But i was looking 1 day at the store picture and mine and was like okay theres a piece of rock on top it and its shaded let me move it. So i decided to move it yesterdah to an open area. And thats how it looks like today.
With your parameters being good I would just give it some more time. The best reef tank is the one that is messed with the least haha as hard as that is.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back