Is a 100 gallon tank safe for 3rd floor apartment?

bondno9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The apartment is long and narrow and the joists run horizontal. I plan on upgrading to a 100 gallon peninsula tank (sump included) to use as a divider in a room. The tank will be placed horizontal in the apartment against the wall and the house was built in 2007 if that helps. You think its safe to do?

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say as a renter, that is not a good idea for many reasons. But assume you already know that and are seeking validation to feel better about making a bad choice.

Figure an easy 1500 pounds. Very high chance of floor sag, bounce and or cracked drywall or nail pops below. You don’t know the load bearing structure of the building and I will bet there is no way the landlord is going to allow it even if you did.

Last edited:

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without knowing where the load bearing walls were (doesnt sound like it would be against a wall?) and not knowing the direction the support beams run I think thats probably a disaster waiting to happen. If you could figure out where the beams were and direction they run and which walls were load bearing maybe. I have a 300 gallon tank in my town home. I can see the beams and their condition and put it against the load bearing wall. Im still adding supports when its fully up and running (floor jacks) to me safe. But without being able to inspect any of that I probably wouldn't to be honest.

OP
OP
B

bondno9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without knowing where the load bearing walls were (doesnt sound like it would be against a wall?) and not knowing the direction the support beams run I think thats probably a disaster waiting to happen. If you could figure out where the beams were and direction they run and which walls were load bearing maybe. I have a 300 gallon tank in my town home. I can see the beams and their condition and put it against the load bearing wall. Im still adding supports when its fully up and running (floor jacks) to me safe. But without being able to inspect any of that I probably wouldn't to be honest.
The room is about 30 ft wide and 10 ft narrow. The tank will be placed along the wall but it’s going to be running along the floor joists horizontal.

Edit: the wall it’s going against is the right side of the house if that also helps.

IMG_5659.jpeg

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you can figure out how structural the building is maaayyybbbeeee
i knew a guy with a 120 on a second floor apartment (all too well because i carried this tank downstairs when he moved)
anyways his apartment was reinforced concrete

i personally would not do this
especially renting

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, let me try again.

No, it is not safe.

You don’t know the load bearing structure.

It is parallel to the joists, catching two of them at best, but likely only one.

You are a renter, no sane landlord will allow this, and most leases prohibit it.

You don’t likely have insurance to cover the damages that can or will occur.

Last edited:

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're going to have to move it in

At 3:40 AM when the property manager is asleep

Dress up like antifa and spray paint all the surveillance cameras

Cue: Mission Impossible Theme

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first thing is to get permission to do so. Some insurance policies require additional insurance for tanks that size. If they say yes, then at least that’s covered. Then contact your renters insurance about the tank.
Second thing would be to find out if the floor is reinforced with an I beam. If your weight is divided between the foundation and an ibeam then it will be ok. But without knowing for sure, it will cause damage that isn’t easily repaired.

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first thing is to get permission to do so. Some insurance policies require additional insurance for tanks that size.
Second thing would be to find out if the floor is reinforced with an I beam. If your weight is divided between the foundation and an ibeam then it will be ok. But without knowing for sure, it will cause damage that isn’t easily repaired.

There is not going to be a load bearing structure bisecting a 10 foot span.

But, in any case, logic would dictate that if the OP knew structure and/or how to identify load bearing members, he would not be here asking for advice in the first place.

I am not trying to be brash, but threads like this tend to confuse people and offer false hope for things that are pretty cut and dry.

Live load design for that floor was most likely 30 psf. That tank, stand and sump will be in the 100 psf range. it is not going to fall through the floor, but there is a very high chance for significant deflection and bounce and damage to the ceiling below. All of this ignoring the inevitable water damage….

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I read it wrong

And read the picture wrong

But
It's a peninsula tank extending out into the room. Because that what Peninsula tanks are for

The only thing below that is the downstair neighbor's couch

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The room is about 30 ft wide and 10 ft narrow. The tank will be placed along the wall but it’s going to be running along the floor joists horizontal.

Edit: the wall it’s going against is the right side of the house if that also helps.

IMG_5659.jpeg
Again without being able to tell which wall is load bearing that would be risky. And being on a third floor apartment is just very sketchy for a tank. If I was in an apartment I 100% would not get a tank that size.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't advise getting a tank that size, especially with all that weight putting pressure on the floor.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of the many reasons I could never live in an apartment! Not knowing what's hiding on the floor over my child's bed would keep me up at night! I know everyone has different situations but I'd take a single wide in WV before a apartment in NYC lol!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back