Is 1600 gph wave maker ok for 36 gallon bow front tank?

BRS

Crystal08

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 1600 gph wave maker can I use that in my 36 gallon bow front tank or is that too strong? It is in the tank now and it’s not blowing anything around. Just wondering if i should get a different one.

AS
OP
OP
Crystal08

Crystal08

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be okay, gives you a turnover rate of about 45 times. This falls within the lower but acceptable range of turnover rates for SW tanks.
Oh so it might not be strong enough? I do have another wave maker I used for my 13.5 gallon that i could add. It was for up to a 20 gallon but I’m not sure the gph.

AquaCave Logo Banner

MischiefReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh so it might not be strong enough? I do have another wave maker I used for my 13.5 gallon that i could add. It was for up to a 20 gallon but I’m not sure the gph.
It should be fine!
To clarify a few details:
Your wave maker is not the only thing that contributes to this turnover rate number, so does your pump and other power heads.
The turnover rate has quite a broad range (40-120) with most reefers opting for a middle range 75-90. But even now there isn’t an agreed magic number.
I should also clarify there is a different turnover rate of DT only and when you include your sump and display!

Last edited:

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do things look? I couldn't even tell you the flow rate of my powerheads. I just watch the things in the tanks and judge by that. Coral movement, sand being blown etc. But more if in doubt.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a 1600 gph wave maker can I use that in my 36 gallon bow front tank or is that too strong? It is in the tank now and it’s not blowing anything around. Just wondering if i should get a different one.
That sounds very strong. A 50g is about 300gph and a 38 would be about 240Gph. I recommend a pump like Jebao RW-4
Koralia nano pumps also good

for an Lps and soft coral tank, you can get buy with 10-30x turnover. For SPS, some have over 80-100x turnover rate.

Top Shelf Aquatics

MischiefReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds very strong. A 50g is about 300gph and a 38 would be about 240Gph. I recommend a pump like Jebao RW-4
Koralia nano pumps also good

for an Lps and soft coral tank, you can get buy with 10-30x turnover. For SPS, some have over 80-100x turnover rate.
Just to confirm Vette are you sure on those calculations? I got 50 - about 30gph and 38 - about- 42 gph. (Unless I’ve got my equations somehow confused)?

pretty sure my sicce pump outputs ~8000gph for my 180gallon. Which seemed like a lot but is barely enough flow for my tank if power heads are off.

Last edited:

Kasrift

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's not too strong, but a lot will depend on livestock choices. I have a 32 gallon with a Nero 3 on ones side and a wavemaker on the other, both exceed 2000 gph but I have acros in a mixed reef and neither are maxed out.

OP
OP
Crystal08

Crystal08

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do things look? I couldn't even tell you the flow rate of my powerheads. I just watch the things in the tanks and judge by that. Coral movement, sand being blown etc. But more if in doubt.
Nothing is blowing around very much. No sand movement

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Crystal08

Crystal08

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be fine!
To clarify a few details:
Your wave maker is not the only thing that contributes to this turnover rate number, so does your pump and other power heads.
The turnover rate has quite a broad range (40-120) with most reefers opting for a middle range 75-90. But even now there isn’t an agreed magic number.
I should also clarify there is a different turnover rate of DT only and when you include your sump and display!
So do I take the gph and divide it by the gallons to get the turn over rate? If that is correct I guess I’m on the low side

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to confirm Vette are you sure on those calculations? I got 50 - about 30gph and 38 - about- 42 gph. (Unless I’ve got my equations somehow confused)?

pretty sure my sicce pump outputs ~8000gph for my 180gallon. Which seemed like a lot but is barely enough flow for my tank if power heads are off.
This would be insane if we were to calculate each wave maker along with return pumps , skimmer ect
I would have to convert my jeabo pumps to gallons per hour

diverjm

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like the recommended turnover rate is mostly for return pumps and not power heads. I have a 32 gal biocube with a sicce 1.5 return pump (357 GPH) and 2 Ecotech MP10s running at 15% power ( 500-600 GPH per powerhead). I have plenty of flow, almost too much thus the reasoning for turning the MP10’s waaay down.

AS

MischiefReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do I take the gph and divide it by the gallons to get the turn over rate? If that is correct I guess I’m on the low side
Yup that’s correct! And then when you include the sump volume, you include the return pump gph in the calculations!

MischiefReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would be insane if we were to calculate each wave maker along with return pumps , skimmer ect
I would have to convert my jeabo pumps to gallons per hour
Yes, as I noted before it’s not an exact science, nor is there a magic number to shoot for. I wasn’t suggesting you calculate every piece of equipment in your tank for gph, I was speaking purely to the original comment asking if 1600gph is too much for 36 gallons. I personally agree that observing the effect on sand/corals/water agitation is an easier way to go about it. However, in some cases people want to decide whether equipment is suitable before putting it into the water, in which case I find that the gph (if stated by the manufacturer) calculated into a turnover rate for the tank can help with those estimates. And it’s not like I came up with the methodology or the number range.
To top it off, I think most reefers realize that there are several other factors that come into play including equipment placement location, orientation, rock scape, tank shape and more.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, as I noted before it’s not an exact science, nor is there a magic number to shoot for. I wasn’t suggesting you calculate every piece of equipment in your tank for gph, I was speaking purely to the original comment asking if 1600gph is too much for 36 gallons. I personally agree that observing the effect on sand/corals/water agitation is an easier way to go about it. However, in some cases people want to decide whether equipment is suitable before putting it into the water, in which case I find that the gph (if stated by the manufacturer) calculated into a turnover rate for the tank can help with those estimates. And it’s not like I came up with the methodology or the number range.
To top it off, I think most reefers realize that there are several other factors that come into play including equipment placement location, orientation, rock scape, tank shape and more.
If a pump lets use any jeabo wave maker for an example .
do they actually produce what manufacturers claim ?

World Wide Corals

MischiefReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a pump lets use any jeabo wave maker for an example .
do they actually produce what manufacturers claim ?
That I think is another topic altogether about the accuracy and consistency of manifacturer claims. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Devaji

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another thought just to muddy the water a bit. it's not only flow rate -GPH but flow type to, a small narrow pump VS a wide flow pattern of the same GPH is going to have a very different effect on the tank.

also is it constant flow vs pulsing vs random. I know lots of factors to think about. :)

MischiefReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another thought just to muddy the water a bit. it's not only flow rate -GPH but flow type to, a small narrow pump VS a wide flow pattern of the same GPH is going to have a very different effect on the tank.

also is it constant flow vs pulsing vs random. I know lots of factors to think about. :)
Exactly, and that’s before we even get into the science of cross flow and counter flow! Enough to make your head explode! :face-with-spiral-eyes:

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Devaji

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly, and that’s before we even get into the science of cross flow and counter flow! Enough to make your head explode! :face-with-spiral-eyes:
I was gonna add that but did not want to scare the OP away.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Copepods
Back