Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Debated whether I wait to let alkalinity on the new tank drop on its own from 9.2 to 7.5 or if I should look to buy muriatic acid to lower the alkalinity over time to a goal of 7.5 dKH?

Looking back at BRS data, it looks like IO's alkalinity doesn't really drop over time, at least in the up to 3 weeks that they've documented measurements in storing mixed saltwater.

I think I'd need about 30-35 mL of muriatic to get to this point?

Using @Randy Holmes-Farley calculations in another thread, if I were to drop the alkalinity in a volume of water by 1.4 dKH, then I'm using this calculation:

1/22,000 x 700 L --> 32 mL of muriatic acid

Does this look right?

I'd be adding it directly to the DT. I would do this slowly, maybe 1 mL every hour since I'm not adding it to a mixing station?

Or would it be easier to take new DT water and water exchange it with the holding tank water? Alkalinity in the holding tank is quite low at 6.0 dKH (increasing my dosing to get that raised). Overall goal was to transfer the holding tank to the new DT today, although I'm going to put that on hold with the alkalinity between the two systems being 3 dKH difference.

Top Shelf Aquatics

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t help with the specific question but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some attention

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is in the new tank?

There's nothing wrong with an alk of 9.2 dKH, and it will likely drop on its own.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Legendary
Back