Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 130 gallon Ich saga continues. When ich broke out and started taking my fish I did the QT with the remaining survivors and was also advised by my LFS to remove all the sand from my tank. Now in hindsight I am not sure that was the best thing to do but what's done is done. After being fallow for 3 weeks I returned a NEW sand bed to the tank using the controversial "rinse" method to make sure the sand was clean and that there would be minimal disturbance.

Now...I have noticed millions of tiny little white bugs on the glass. I wish I could get a clear video or photo but they are very small. They move so they are not eggs. What the heck are these?

Next I have these longer tiny clear shrimp looking things (photo in the cup). I have read the "What is this thread" so maybe a pod of some type?

And lastly, tiny oval snails. Everywhere. In the sump, on the overflow.

Since going fallow I have been invaded!

95CC9019-28F3-404C-B9EC-581A765B837A.jpeg 3C65F914-E682-4310-9C8F-D6B36068A37D.jpeg 484CC468-6FD5-4CF3-A00E-12EEFC22DE40.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

Dryan

Community Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your first image looks like a limpet, https://www.reefcleaners.org/aquarium-store/tank-cleaners/limpets-detail
The second and third images look like amphipods, https://www.fortunaaquatics.com/shop/p/amphipods.

Based on what you're saying, my guess is the tank being fallow has all the little critters fish would normally munch on suddenly booming in population. You're probably fine and once fish are back in the tank their populations will go down. That said the two critters in your images look to be good guys.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
RaisingKane

RaisingKane

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your first image looks like a limpet, https://www.reefcleaners.org/aquarium-store/tank-cleaners/limpets-detail
The second and third images look like amphipods, https://www.fortunaaquatics.com/shop/p/amphipods.

Based on what you're saying, my guess is the tank being fallow has all the little critters fish would normally munch on suddenly booming in population. You're probably fine and once fish are back in the tank their populations will go down. That said the two critters in your images look to be good guys.
OK yes! That second links looks like what is in the cup looked like. It's clear but in the cup you can only see its spine.

And the limpets! That looks pretty close.
The only thing that is really freaking me out are the tiny white bugs all over the glass. I wish I could get a photo or video. My phone will just not focus.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s proof that changing out a sandbed, or washing an existing sandbed, does not remove your pod population. They hole up in rock, then come back out. Those bugs were in the old system they weren’t in the bagged sand. They’re quality feed for corals and fish that like to eat them for sure.

fear of losing pods was an original concern in early sand rinse days.

Top Shelf Aquatics

EricR

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing that is really freaking me out are the tiny white bugs all over the glass. I wish I could get a photo or video. My phone will just not focus.
If they're "crawling" around like bugs, likely copepods, also good,,, but just guessing

OP
OP
RaisingKane

RaisingKane

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone! I assumed that this was all the life coming out into the world now that there are no fish to eat them but wasn't sure. Seemed coincidental but things just keep happening right and left! A few more weeks of copper and then the fish will be back and the shrimp and hermits and everything else ruling this tank right now (which I typically only see at night) will be running for the rocks again.

Crazy how many bugs and organisms are in there.

NanoJHB

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone! I assumed that this was all the life coming out into the world now that there are no fish to eat them but wasn't sure. Seemed coincidental but things just keep happening right and left! A few more weeks of copper and then the fish will be back and the shrimp and hermits and everything else ruling this tank right now (which I typically only see at night) will be running for the rocks again.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Antonio86

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi... Have the same issue... Are yours look like this on pic ?

Attachments

• IMG_20230201_191300_edit_43295490014226.jpg
    IMG_20230201_191300_edit_43295490014226.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 15

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back