Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried an intermittent lighting schedule? Most folks do a ramp up and ramp down with the blues in the morning and evening with a 12ish hour schedule to recreate the reef which is more than understandable. Since most of us are not trying to spawn corals and fish, does the extended 12/12 schedule really hold that much weight? What have been your experiences with a 6 on 6 off schedule? I have found the Ph is more stable and the corals and fish dont seem to care so long as the rest of the general parameters are adhered to. This may help with any heat issues and polyp extension for feeding to be on an accelerated schedule and really increase the old adage of stability promotes success. IThoughts?

Avast

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried an intermittent lighting schedule? Most folks do a ramp up and ramp down with the blues in the morning and evening with a 12ish hour schedule to recreate the reef which is more than understandable. Since most of us are not trying to spawn corals and fish, does the extended 12/12 schedule really hold that much weight? What have been your experiences with a 6 on 6 off schedule? I have found the Ph is more stable and the corals and fish dont seem to care so long as the rest of the general parameters are adhered to. This may help with any heat issues and polyp extension for feeding to be on an accelerated schedule and really increase the old adage of stability promotes success. IThoughts?

That's an interesting idea. Leveling out of the pH is a great benefit (I usually use a reverse-lit refugium to balance that, or just pretend it doesn't happen).

Just spit balling here - I'm fairly certain that photosynthesis can turn on and off pretty quickly (to handle clouds going over the sun) but what if reverse phase photosynthesis takes more time to cycle through properly? The short night might cut that off.....

Jay

Reef Psychology

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There were a handful of people at Reef Central that would do something like this so they could enjoy their tanks before and after work. If I recall there wasnt any real deleterious consequences, but some said coral growth seemed to slow down. Personally, I’d avoid it. After millions of years it’s likely they’ve adapted to thrive in our particular diurnal cycle.

Enderg60

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back when halides were the best light out there, I recall a few people doing that to avoid running the halides and chillers during "on peak" hours. (when the power company charges more in the mid afternoon)

No one ever mentioned any negative effects, but aside from the cost savings, no beneficial effects either.

That said, dont go chasing parameters. Unless you are seeing daily swings of 0.4 ph or more I wouldnt worry about it. And if you are, you need to figure out why instead of messing with lights.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
TCK Corals
Back