+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So yesterday I had a flashlight to my corals at the night time just to take a look at one of my acro Porra that has been acting weird lately and has had no polyp of extension. I saw something crawling around on my acropora coral that was acting weird.

I looked up real close and couldnt make out if it was red bugs.

I prepared a beaker of coral RX dip, and I dipped the coral, and then a fresh water dipped it and put it back into my tank when looking back into the beaker, I can see allot of very, very, very small almost a yellow type of dot at the bottom of the beaker.
They looked like this

7273CD51-F294-4378-A0CA-67DE7B26A40D.jpeg

Obviously, this is the infamous red bugs. So I went on and ordered 23 mg tablets of interceptor from chewy and I’m getting them in the mail. The coral that I dipped in the coral Rx in the freshwater seemed like all the red bugs got pulled off.

if I see red bugs on one, Acropora is it safe to assume all the rest of them have it?

The next question is I have a 60 gallon display and a 15 gallon sump total of 75 gallons total. Not including rock, and other things that might be in the tank.

I was planning on getting the interceptor cutting the 23 mg tablet in half and crushing it down to a powder and then mixing it into 250 ML of RODI water and then dosing that water mixture four times spanned out in one week.

I plan on doing a 30% water change after the four time dose is done. And then continue with my 10% every week.

i’ve been having a hard time, finding a good measurement tool and or maybe someone can shoot me a link for a definitive process or measurement

Corals.com

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[HASH=1]#reefsquad[/HASH]

I mainly work with fish diseases, I've only dosed Interceptor a couple of times, so I'll see if others can chime in here.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hello,

So yesterday I had a flashlight to my corals at the night time just to take a look at one of my acro Porra that has been acting weird lately and has had no polyp of extension. I saw something crawling around on my acropora coral that was acting weird.

I looked up real close and couldnt make out if it was red bugs.

I prepared a beaker of coral RX dip, and I dipped the coral, and then a fresh water dipped it and put it back into my tank when looking back into the beaker, I can see allot of very, very, very small almost a yellow type of dot at the bottom of the beaker.
They looked like this

View attachment 3013687

Obviously, this is the infamous red bugs. So I went on and ordered 23 mg tablets of interceptor from chewy and I’m getting them in the mail. The coral that I dipped in the coral Rx in the freshwater seemed like all the red bugs got pulled off.

if I see red bugs on one, Acropora is it safe to assume all the rest of them have it?

The next question is I have a 60 gallon display and a 15 gallon sump total of 75 gallons total. Not including rock, and other things that might be in the tank.

I was planning on getting the interceptor cutting the 23 mg tablet in half and crushing it down to a powder and then mixing it into 250 ML of RODI water and then dosing that water mixture four times spanned out in one week.

I plan on doing a 30% water change after the four time dose is done. And then continue with my 10% every week.

i’ve been having a hard time, finding a good measurement tool and or maybe someone can shoot me a link for a definitive process or measurement
These are the dreaded red bugs and are the pest troublemakers. They feed on the tissue of smooth skinned acro corals and while most dont kill coral, its their growth and reproduction rate thats an issue. They are a type of copepod bug and yes interceptor pill crushed is often a solution to knocking them down.
Do realize interceptor can and will likely kill inverts, crabs-shrimps-pods and I therefore recommend removing all inverts OR treat the coral in a separate tank without inverts and will also reduce amount of the interceptor needed.
Treat 3 times a week for 3 weeks at 25mg per 20 gallons of water. Each pill needs to be ground up with a hammer and should treat about 400 gal. Do application initially. About 8 hours later, add another. Then blow the coral GENTLY with a turkey baster and 8 hours later add another dosage. DO NOT repeat until day 7 doing another 3 treaments every 8 hours.
REMOVE CARBON AND TURN OFF ANY UV STERILIZERS AND SKIMMER UNITS.
Each 7 day periods, do a water change and siphon surfaces.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Lasse

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you done any restart of the P4 during the time you get wrong report from the graphs? A Norwegian reset as we call it here in Sweden is normally a useful tool when electronics behave strange. 10 sec before you put the power on again.
Edit: Wrong post at the wrong thread - my bad
Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sidsreef

Sidsreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the dreaded red bugs and are the pest troublemakers. They feed on the tissue of smooth skinned acro corals and while most dont kill coral, its their growth and reproduction rate thats an issue. They are a type of copepod bug and yes interceptor pill crushed is often a solution to knocking them down.
Do realize interceptor can and will likely kill inverts, crabs-shrimps-pods and I therefore recommend removing all inverts OR treat the coral in a separate tank without inverts and will also reduce amount of the interceptor needed.
Treat 3 times a week for 3 weeks at 25mg per 20 gallons of water. Each pill needs to be ground up with a hammer and should treat about 400 gal. Do application initially. About 8 hours later, add another. Then blow the coral GENTLY with a turkey baster and 8 hours later add another dosage. DO NOT repeat until day 7 doing another 3 treaments every 8 hours.
REMOVE CARBON AND TURN OFF ANY UV STERILIZERS AND SKIMMER UNITS.
Each 7 day periods, do a water change and siphon surfaces.

So question for ya. one of my acro's had the red bugs. i checked every other acro in my tank and didn't see any red bugs. just the one...so far.

why would i just take the one coral out of the tank for QT ??besides invert's getting hit with the interceptor.

do red bugs only target one coral and die off??
shouldn't i dose the whole tank to kill off all the red bugs instead of waiting to see which coral closes up and gets eaten up?

I have a pistol shrimp in the tank. i don't think ill be able to catch him. i gotta a couple of hermit crabs. small ones

OP
OP
Sidsreef

Sidsreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treat 3 times a week for 3 weeks at 25mg per 20 gallons of water. Each pill needs to be ground up with a hammer and should treat about 400 gal. D
1 pill is 23MG and treats 400Gallons...... your saying 25MG per 20 gallons? if i did my math correctly your saying i need to dose 93MG for my setup 3 times a week for 3 weeks?

AquaCave Logo Banner

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So question for ya. one of my acro's had the red bugs. i checked every other acro in my tank and didn't see any red bugs. just the one...so far.

why would i just take the one coral out of the tank for QT ??besides invert's getting hit with the interceptor.

do red bugs only target one coral and die off??
shouldn't i dose the whole tank to kill off all the red bugs instead of waiting to see which coral closes up and gets eaten up?

I have a pistol shrimp in the tank. i don't think ill be able to catch him. i gotta a couple of hermit crabs. small ones
They favor soft/smooth acro first. If they have penetrated the mucus on it, they will congregate and go to the next one. HOPEFULLY, there is no eggs from them hiding somewhere. Pull that acro and place in fine net and slowly take it out and see if you see any other bugs. Rinse net inside out to discard them.

OP
OP
Sidsreef

Sidsreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you done any restart of the P4 during the time you get wrong report from the graphs? A Norwegian reset as we call it here in Sweden is normally a useful tool when electronics behave strange. 10 sec before you put the power on again.

Sincerely Lasse
hello,

not sure what your reffering to. were talking about red bugs

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
1 pill is 23MG and treats 400Gallons...... your saying 25MG per 20 gallons? if i did my math correctly your saying i need to dose 93MG for my setup 3 times a week for 3 weeks?
It is best done with use of a scale but who can weight it 0.001 grams?? Technically, the dosage is 25mg per 10 gallons of water but I extend that to assure the bacteria and diversity of tank not affected but the numbers I gave you are correct. You can do the per 10 gallons versus 20 gallons if you wish but I deem it as a risk on my behalf

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
Sidsreef

Sidsreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is best done with use of a scale but who can weight it 0.001 grams?? Technically, the dosage is 25mg per 10 gallons of water but I extend that to assure the bacteria and diversity of tank not affected but the numbers I gave you are correct. You can do the per 10 gallons versus 20 gallons if you wish but I deem it as a risk on my behalf

well i beleive you im not doubting you...i just wanna make sure i got the right dosage here and I'm not hurting my tank with a massive dose.

"1 pill for 51-100lb dogs will treat 380 gal according to dustin dortons original protocol"

can you take a look at these posts that i searched cause it says 23MG per 400Gal. and that's allot different than what your telling me.

also this melvs reef says 23MG tablet doses 400 gallon

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
well i beleive you im not doubting you...i just wanna make sure i got the right dosage here and I'm not hurting my tank with a massive dose.

"1 pill for 51-100lb dogs will treat 380 gal according to dustin dortons original protocol"

can you take a look at these posts that i searched cause it says 23MG per 400Gal. and that's allot different than what your telling me.

I understand why I go with per 20 gals instead of 10 gals

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

These two links coincide with what Ive mentioned. Each pill is 23-25mg for 400 gallons

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Sidsreef

Sidsreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These two links coincide with what Ive mentioned. Each pill is 23-25mg for 400 gallons

ok sounds good. so lemme break this down for ya and let me know if it sounds good or not

i have a 75 gallon reef tank

if 23MG treats 400 gallons then that's 0.0575MG per gallon.

my tank is 75 gallons which is a total dose of 4.31MG so now we must compound the medication into 250ML of tank water.

were going to take half of one pill which is 11.5MG and crush to powder and add it to the 250ML of water

that makes 0.046MG per 1ML.

if i dose 10ML that is 4.60MG dose for 1 treatment. (i rounded up to 4.60 for good measure :smiling-face-with-smiling-eyes:) the normal dose would be 4.31 but lil extra wont hurt

sound good?? then ill do the 4.60 3 times in a week for 3 weeks

ill have to measure the amount because the medication goes innert if you leave it in water for more than 12 hours.. in weight its 0.6 grams for one dose or in the range

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
ok sounds good. so lemme break this down for ya and let me know if it sounds good or not

i have a 75 gallon reef tank

if 23MG treats 400 gallons then that's 0.0575MG per gallon.

my tank is 75 gallons which is a total dose of 4.31MG so now we must compound the medication into 250ML of tank water.

were going to take half of one pill which is 11.5MG and crush to powder and add it to the 250ML of water

that makes 0.046MG per 1ML.

if i dose 10ML that is 4.60MG dose for 1 treatment. (i rounded up to 4.60 for good measure :smiling-face-with-smiling-eyes:) the normal dose would be 4.31 but lil extra wont hurt

sound good?? then ill do the 4.60 3 times in a week for 3 weeks

ill have to measure the amount because the medication goes innert if you leave it in water for more than 12 hours.. in weight its 0.6 grams for one dose or in the range
Youre good at math- For 75g, yes . . . . . total dose of 4 -4.31MG

BRS

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
realistically i can divide the 23MG pill into 4 pieces and dose 5.75mg each time
That would be on target
First challenge is getting the pill

Lasse

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello,

not sure what your reffering to. were talking about red bugs
Either do I - its a result of more than 1 tab open in the browser at the same time. The post should had been posted elsewhere:) I´m sorry - my bad

Sincerely Lasse

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

https://www.triton.de/en/
Back