Intentionally feeding butterflyfish coral?

Gree23849

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a long break from this hobby during covid, but I just set up my 140 gallon again, primarily because I LOVE butterflyfish. Im ok with It being a FOWLR, but I know butterflyfish can be finicky with diets, so for the sake of making them happy, I was wondering if anyone has intentionally grew quick coral (pulsing Xenia, some zoas and mushrooms, Duncan's, etc) in a reef tank, for the purpose of occasionally adding them to display for butterflies? I used to have a slight infestation of some types of Zoas, Xenia and mushroom corals, and wonder if I fostered them again in my small reef tank, I could feed them with the live brine shrimp, live clams, white worms, Nori and paste I've used. Ive also read they could go after nems, and sometime I see types on sale for 20$, so adding the occasional Nem? I know the second I add these corals, the butterflies could obliterate them, but if it makes them happy Id like to at least try a weekly/monthly fragged colony or whatnot, if I can get enough to grow. I only have 2.... A threadfin and latticed

Bottom line - has anyone intentionally fed corals to butterflies? Or does this sound stupid?

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a long break from this hobby during covid, but I just set up my 140 gallon again, primarily because I LOVE butterflyfish. Im ok with It being a FOWLR, but I know butterflyfish can be finicky with diets, so for the sake of making them happy, I was wondering if anyone has intentionally grew quick coral (pulsing Xenia, some zoas and mushrooms, Duncan's, etc) in a reef tank, for the purpose of occasionally adding them to display for butterflies? I used to have a slight infestation of some types of Zoas, Xenia and mushroom corals, and wonder if I fostered them again in my small reef tank, I could feed them with the live brine shrimp, live clams, white worms, Nori and paste I've used. Ive also read they could go after nems, and sometime I see types on sale for 20$, so adding the occasional Nem? I know the second I add these corals, the butterflies could obliterate them, but if it makes them happy Id like to at least try a weekly/monthly fragged colony or whatnot, if I can get enough to grow. I only have 2.... A threadfin and latticed

Bottom line - has anyone intentionally fed corals to butterflies? Or does this sound stupid?
I posted a similar thread to yours a few months ago, I'm planning on keeping some butterflyfish and angelfishes, say four eye butterfly and Singapore angel just for example. Beautiful fish but very fussy about what they eat, these fish are supposed to get a lot of benefit from being on live rock and can probably get a good diet from being fed live corals from time to time, many of the coralivore butterflies died off over time even on other foods like mysis or clams, the coral polyps give these fish some nutritional benefits that are not covered any other way.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back