Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, brand new to the forum and about to make a purchase for my first saltwater reef tank. Due to space limits I’ll be going with the Fluval EVO 5 gallon tank. Likely will be just soft corals and inverts. Maybe a goby but not for a while until I get better at it.

Question I have is I’m planning to start with the EVO stock tank but read that the Intank Media basket is recommended. I’m curious if it makes that much of a difference or if I’m ok to start with the stock tank for this. If my chance for success is much higher with the Intank I’ll spend the extra money now but I figured I would ask the experts as I’ve read conflicting posts. If there is anything else I’m missing to get started off on the right foot I’m open to suggestions. I’ll be adding live Rock, live Sand, Hydor 50w heater. Don’t think I need a skimmer or wavemaker for this size tank and setup. Thanks In advance.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I run a basket and find it beneficial.
Media kits has fiber balls, carbon and GFO

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
C

cgr124

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. Appreciate the feedback. Sounds like the media basket is the best way to go. I wasn’t sure if it made that much of a difference but I’ve read the Evo sponge could be a nitrate factory and I don’t want that. Thanks all.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Torch SALE
Back