Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to downsize from a 120 with a sump to a 50 lagoon no sump. Which skimmer would be the best and what would be best media in the basket? Starting new by the way.

srobertb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the 10 (still have it) 20(still have it) 40 (moved) and 120g (exploded). All over the last 10 years or so.

I found the Tunze DC skimmers work the best. You’d need to check clearances on which one will fit. They work well enough, they’re quiet. They are a massive pain to clean. Do not expect the same performance from a traditional skimmer but honestly for the cost, it’s pretty good value.

On my 40g, I ran a refugium using a Tunze submersible light (or two). Carbon when I needed it. The filter socks clog quickly so I gave up on those. I try and keep my AIO’s super simple and don’t do dosing pumps and things.

I had 2, 5 gallon jugs under the 40g and an AutoAqua AWC. Every couple weeks I just dumped the “dirty” water and refilled the new SW.

OP
OP
aslmx

aslmx

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the 10 (still have it) 20(still have it) 40 (moved) and 120g (exploded). All over the last 10 years or so.

I found the Tunze DC skimmers work the best. You’d need to check clearances on which one will fit. They work well enough, they’re quiet. They are a massive pain to clean. Do not expect the same performance from a traditional skimmer but honestly for the cost, it’s pretty good value.

On my 40g, I ran a refugium using a Tunze submersible light (or two). Carbon when I needed it. The filter socks clog quickly so I gave up on those. I try and keep my AIO’s super simple and don’t do dosing pumps and things.

I had 2, 5 gallon jugs under the 40g and an AutoAqua AWC. Every couple weeks I just dumped the “dirty” water and refilled the new SW.
Thanks for the info. I’ll look at the tunze I need a quiet one because it will be in our living room.

World Wide Corals

srobertb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I’ll look at the tunze I need a quiet one because it will be in our living room.
The Tunze is very quiet with the DC pump once broken in. I also hate pump noise; like a tell-tale heart level issue with it.

It is inevitable despite the pump being very quiet that you will hear the air intake. Another downside to the AIO. You can use the silencer + some cotton batting in it or size up the tubing and extend it into a cabinet. Be aware that in 7+ years of running this skimmer (the smaller and largest) 2x the air intake magically became a siphon. Luckily my airline was run outside into a plant bed and I caught it. I wouldn’t advise running the silencer below the water line without a check valve. No clue why it back siphoned. But it did.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Your Reef
Back