Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost this poor guy tonight after 6+ years. Male of a mated spawning pair.

He went from ok to bad in less than a day. Had stomach distended and was laying on sand and was gone in a few hours.

Last fish was added around 5 months ago, a tiny purple tang that gets along fairly well with everyone and I’ve seen no bullying. I’m home with my son most days so get ALOT of time observing the tank from the couch etc. Added some trochus snails from Saltwater Aquarium as they advertise as coming from a fallow system a few weeks ago so perhaps something came in with them?

E6805ECC-0163-47FC-A398-BD2FA22BF59E.jpeg

AquaCave Logo Banner

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Lost this poor guy tonight after 6+ years. Male of a mated spawning pair.

He went from ok to bad in less than a day. Had stomach distended and was laying on sand and was gone in a few hours.

Last fish was added around 5 months ago, a tiny purple tang that gets along fairly well with everyone and I’ve seen no bullying. I’m home with my son most days so get ALOT of time observing the tank from the couch etc. Added some trochus snails from Saltwater Aquarium as they advertise as coming from a fallow system a few weeks ago so perhaps something came in with them?

View attachment 3127384
My goodness. This is not the work of clean up crew but rather appears to be rotted flesh (bacterial) in which there is signs about of similar shaped infection which is internal.

@Jay Hemdal

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, the smooth rounded margin of the wound indicates a bacterial infection, not an injury. Possibly, the fish developed enteritis (noted by the swelling) and then, the bacteria grew until it broke through the skin. Because the bacteria that can do this sort of thing are found in every aquarium (Aeromonas, Pseudomonas, etc.) this is likely to be a "one off" case and won't be contagious to the other fish.

Jay

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back