Injured Flame Angel - Should I treat for anything?

Nutramar

Juschillin

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello... My flame angel was pretending to be a blenny and got stuck in a hole in my rock work. I found him on Sunday morning and have no idea how long he was there (sometime during the night). I was able to gently nudge him out, but he looks pretty mangled. White showing on top and along one side, while his side fins are somewhat damaged too. He still swims around the back of the tank, although more slowly than normal. I haven't seen him eat food yet, but he was picking algae off a snail this morning.

I've only been reefing for about 4 months, and this guy is one of my favorites. Can anyone advise on whether or not I should try and remove him for treatment? I don't want to stress him further.

Thank you!
IMG_20230416_184434663.jpg
IMG_20230416_184454808.jpg

AquaCave Logo Banner

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's a rock injury I generally leave for a day or two to see if it improves on its own. Trying to catch an angel is almost an effort in futility and can really stress the fish to no end.

There may be some in-tank treatments but I'll let others weigh-in (I used epsom salts one time to treat an eye injury with a clownfish, but I'm iffy on if it made any difference).

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Pacific East
Back