Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just a quick question about sunlight…. During the summer sun comes up around 6 -7 am and down around 8-9pm. Tank lights are on from 9 am to 8 pm…… will the extended time in morning and evening bother coral from natural sunlight with the lights off? It’s a north facing room so no direct sunlight only indirect light… Just curious if I should black out the room or if the windows are ok to leave exposed? Thank you!

Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So just a quick question about sunlight…. During the summer sun comes up around 6 -7 am and down around 8-9pm. Tank lights are on from 9 am to 8 pm…… will the extended time in morning and evening bother coral from natural sunlight with the lights off? It’s a north facing room so no direct sunlight only indirect light… Just curious if I should black out the room or if the windows are ok to leave exposed? Thank you!
You can run your lights but do note indirect sunlight and UV this time of the year will quickly promote hair algae

OP
OP
K

kweigum

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can run your lights but do note indirect sunlight and UV this time of the year will quickly promote hair algae
I know I can run my light the full time…. I was just curious mostly about the room still having natural light in it from outside coming in( am aware about the algae potential) more worried about the coral getting too long of a light period from the room having a bit of indirect light in it and if I should close all the window curtains all summer and black out the room . I like to leave them open…… once again…. Thanks for your reply!

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I know I can run my light the full time…. I was just curious mostly about the room still having natural light in it from outside coming in( am aware about the algae potential) more worried about the coral getting too long of a light period from the room having a bit of indirect light in it and if I should close all the window curtains all summer and black out the room . I like to leave them open…… once again…. Thanks for your reply!
I wouldnt be too concerned with photo period which is similar to natural daylight for many oceans. The power of UV is very strong and will penetrate shades -blinds-curtains. I often recommend getting black construction paper from walmart and place on the side of the tank that faces the window/sun for best protection.

OP
OP
K

kweigum

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt be too concerned with photo period which is similar to natural daylight for many oceans. The power of UV is very strong and will penetrate shades -blinds-curtains. I often recommend getting black construction paper from walmart and place on the side of the tank that faces the window/sun for best protection.
Thank you!!!!

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
RED SEA
Back