Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I was wondering if y’all had some advice on increasing surface agitation? I have a Red Sea Reefer 350 and there is great agitation right where the water return is, but there is barely any on the edges of the tank and I’ve noticed a bit of a film start to build up there. I currently have just 1 wavemaker in the tank because my other one broke and the new ones I ordered are currently delayed in the mail. Even with 2 wavemakers, though, there wasn’t as much agitation as I would like. Do you guys have any suggestions on what I can do? Thanks!

AS

Keko21

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gen 1 or G2? I have the 350 G2 and the returns bend every which way so just point it at the dead spot, or play the current off the glass to get it to flow where you want. Same concept with the G1 but you may have to get an extender or split to get it going multiple places.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
FriendoFish

FriendoFish

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A gyre comes to mind as a way to make a nice wave along the top of the water
Thanks for the suggestion! I have heard this might work, but I was worried about creating too much flow in the tank. I have mostly LPS corals and they don’t seem to like a ton of flow. Have you found this at all?

Widdlyscudds

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I was wondering if y’all had some advice on increasing surface agitation? I have a Red Sea Reefer 350 and there is great agitation right where the water return is, but there is barely any on the edges of the tank and I’ve noticed a bit of a film start to build up there. I currently have just 1 wavemaker in the tank because my other one broke and the new ones I ordered are currently delayed in the mail. Even with 2 wavemakers, though, there wasn’t as much agitation as I would like. Do you guys have any suggestions on what I can do? Thanks!
I use an incredibly cheap amazon powerhead for surface agitation. it works for me to have a dedicated power head for it. I don't have a sump so its really the only way to get all the gunk from building up on the top. I have it maybe 4 inches from the top and just point it up ever so slightly

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not used a gyre tbh because I just haven't had the need for one yet but if I ever need a wide laminar flow that's what I'll be buying :). Get something with a controller so you can dial in the flow.. I agree tho my lps do not like lots of flow; just enough to make em...jiggle a bit

Top Shelf Aquatics

Keko21

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestion! I have heard this might work, but I was worried about creating too much flow in the tank. I have mostly LPS corals and they don’t seem to like a ton of flow. Have you found this at all?
I use the small Red Sea gyre in the same tank as yours and its the only power head I think I'll need. I have it dialed down to 50% on a wave pattern and that combined with my returns hits every part of the tank I need it to. I just tend to put my corals that like less flow strategically next to rocks that block the flow.
This is my hammer front and center in the tank

OP
OP
FriendoFish

FriendoFish

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gen 1 or G2? I have the 350 G2 and the returns bend every which way so just point it at the dead spot, or play the current off the glass to get it to flow where you want. Same concept with the G1 but you may have to get an extender or split to get it going multiple places.
I have a G1. I will definitely look into a splitter.

World Wide Corals
AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
SaltwaterAquarium.com
Back