Improved 2 Part Calcium and Alkalinity question

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Good day Randy! I was reading through your article on the DIY Improved 2 Part Calcium and Alkalinity dosing and I think I've got it but wanted to make sure:

On the dosing instructions I add 1 mL per gallon of actual total system water for my mixed reef tank. That's for both the calcium and alkalinity, correct? My tank and sump actual total water is approximately 70 gallons so I would add 70 mL calcium and 70 mL alkalinity daily, correct? Not 0.5 mL of each for a total of 1 mL?

Then, after 1 gallon of each has been dosed, add a 2.5 cups of the magnesium?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day Randy! I was reading through your article on the DIY Improved 2 Part Calcium and Alkalinity dosing and I think I've got it but wanted to make sure:

On the dosing instructions I add 1 mL per gallon of actual total system water for my mixed reef tank. That's for both the calcium and alkalinity, correct? My tank and sump actual total water is approximately 70 gallons so I would add 70 mL calcium and 70 mL alkalinity daily, correct? Not 0.5 mL of each for a total of 1 mL?

Then, after 1 gallon of each has been dosed, add a 2.5 cups of the magnesium?

The final sentence is correct, but spreading it out over the time period where the 1 gallon is used is better. Also, an improved recipe using Balling Part C instead of most of that mag part is even better.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The final sentence is correct, but spreading it out over the time period where the 1 gallon is used is better. Also, an improved recipe using Balling Part C instead of most of that mag part is even better.
The dose of the alk and calcium parts should be gauged by alk demand. :)
Sounds good, thanks! I have 3 dosing heads available so I can definitely make it work. Half hour apart per each is recommended still?

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have several pounds of magnesium flake and Epsom salts but I'll definitely look into the balling.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good, thanks! I have 3 dosing heads available so I can definitely make it work. Half hour apart per each is recommended still?

That’s a fine plan, yes. Even a few min is fine in most cases.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several pounds of magnesium flake and Epsom salts but I'll definitely look into the balling.

There are some detailed recipe descriptions here:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back