Im in a battle right now and I need your help!

GreyYeti

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After being successful with a FOWL tank I decided to take it a level higher and make it a reef tank. I started with KENT MARINE NANO CORAL A AND B and VIPRASPECTRA 165W I dosed accordingly and only once since starting this tank, I want to say a month ago. Im currently still using Instant ocean sea salt and haven't transitioned into my new instant ocean reef salt. However, after dosing with Kents I put around 6 corals everything was fine. Im currently running lights at 30 blue and zero white just because I had it at 30/30 before and heard whites/reds inhibit algae growth. I also dosed every week with Phyto/Zoo plankton I've since stopped since the algae bloom. Forward to today, im battling algae growth all over my liferock and some GHA on about two frag plus. Ive had to redose calcium twice to bring up levels. Now im using nopox3 and running chemiclear blue to try and combat the high phos and algae. My water is super cloudy most likely from a bacteria bloom and fishes seem fine and coral as well. Ive lost only one small birds nest(BLACHED) but I believe it was from to high of a direct flow. My waters cloudy, there's algae all over my life rock and my parameters are high and I don't know what to do to lower them, water changes aren't working and I don't to end up with ammonia burn. Do I leave algae alone do I scrub it off? let the NOPOX# and CHEMICLEAR do its thing? I tested earlier today my parameters are:

Ammonia 0-0.25 ppm
ALK 11.3
PHOS 0.90
CAL 456
NITRATE 4.0
SALINTY 1.025
PH 8.1

tank.jpg tank 3.jpg tank 2.jpg

Corals.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Chemically attacking this sort of stuff will work in Freshwater but you want to refrain with Saltwater. You can change/clean filters more frequently, add ChemiPure blue which will polish water and reduce white light intensity. Assure you have good water flow and are not overfeeding.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Saltydog69

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you need good bacteria man. stop doing waterchanges. get your nutrients up, get some dr tims bacteria, waste away gels. start dosing phyto everday. lots of it. and get a brine shrimp hatchery from brs. you can get the whole kit for under 40 bucks shipped. you need bio diversity quick... and get some snails. lots of snails. at least 20.

Nutramar Foods
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
G

GreyYeti

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemically attacking this sort of stuff will work in Freshwater but you want to refrain with Saltwater. You can change/clean filters more frequently, add ChemiPure blue which will polish water and reduce white light intensity. Assure you have good water flow and are not overfeeding.
Im new to chemo clear and im using a filter bigger than needed for my tank for the GPH filtration. Can Chemiclear replace the carbon filter pad im using right now or should I run both at the same time?

Avast
OP
OP
G

GreyYeti

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is green because you have .9 phosphate.
I agree phosphates are playing a huge part but im having trouble bringing them down as well. Water changes don't seem to do anything NOPOX3 no changes in 3 days and I've just added the chemiclear blue to help out. I don't know what else to do at this point :rolleyes:

OP
OP
G

GreyYeti

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you need good bacteria man. stop doing waterchanges. get your nutrients up, get some dr tims bacteria, waste away gels. start dosing phyto everday. lots of it. and get a brine shrimp hatchery from brs. you can get the whole kit for under 40 bucks shipped. you need bio diversity quick... and get some snails. lots of snails. at least 20.
Thank you, im dosing NOPOX3i thought that was good bacteria? Ill continue dosing photo then.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thank you, im dosing NOPOX3i thought that was good bacteria? Ill continue dosing photo then.
NoPox is vodka dosing and not bacteria. MicroBacter 7 would be a good choice. Again- chemiPure blue will polish water and lower Phos and Nitrates. tap water is a No-no especially with added Phosphates, flouride and spores

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
FnR
Back