IM fleece roller increasing Nitrates and Phosphates?

erin10885

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed my new Innovative Marine fleece roller around 4/24 and since then my Nitrates and Phosphates continue to increase. Today's results are attached as well as the ones from before I added the fleece roller. I have an IM 40L AIO currently I have a UV on the left side then the skimmer, on the right side I have the fleece roller then biomedia and charcoal and in the middle to the side I have Chemipure. Has anyone else had this issue with their fleece roller? I turn it daily Monday through Friday (it's an office tank). I'd really hate to go back to filter socks because bringing them home and washing them is honestly a pain in the butt but if that's my only option then that's what I'll do. Any advice is appreciated!

Edit to add: I worded the title incorrectly, I don't necessarily think the fleece is increasing them more like not filtering enough out

Screenshot_20230523_180654_AquaticLog.jpg Screenshot_20230523_181247_AquaticLog.jpg

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed my new Innovative Marine fleece roller around 4/24 and since then my Nitrates and Phosphates continue to increase. Today's results are attached as well as the ones from before I added the fleece roller. I have an IM 40L AIO currently I have a UV on the left side then the skimmer, on the right side I have the fleece roller then biomedia and charcoal and in the middle to the side I have Chemipure. Has anyone else had this issue with their fleece roller? I turn it daily Monday through Friday (it's an office tank). I'd really hate to go back to filter socks because bringing them home and washing them is honestly a pain in the butt but if that's my only option then that's what I'll do. Any advice is appreciated!

View attachment 3166382 View attachment 3166385
Probably a coincidence.

World Wide Corals

fullinfusion

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just my opinion and I try and use scientific facts and theory and try to understand how devices work, but for a fleece roller to increase your nitrates and whatever else is concerning you I really doubt that your equipment is faulty or causing the issue.

I'll add what I came across here recently with my system. Even doing water changes weekly my nitrates were climbing, but yet my po4 was hanging on by a thread. I purchased a bottle of Fritz zyme 9 and added it to my tank just as an experiment while I wait for my water box to show up.

It actually started to bring down my nitrates, and my po4 is stable now but it could also be a coincidence because I also added a few weeks ago a bag of seachem Matrix in a filter bag and dropped it in the bottom of my rear chamber. There definitely isn't enough beneficial bacteria growing on it but I also do have a couple bags of biogems that have been in the system since day one. Either it was Fritz or the Fritz helped establish the Matrix really quick or it was just a wild coincidence :/

As for chemipure I tried it in my tank and my system did not like it whatsoever so I took it out and gave it a quick rinse and put it back in its container and tried it later on after the tank started to somewhat mature and still all my tank inhabitants dislike that Boyd product so for me I threw it in the garbage and I refuse to use that stuff. I find I have way more success just using seachem Purigen and a small bag of seachem carbon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

erin10885

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just my opinion and I try and use scientific facts and theory and try to understand how devices work, but for a fleece roller to increase your nitrates and whatever else is concerning you I really doubt that your equipment is faulty or causing the issue.

I'll add what I came across here recently with my system. Even doing water changes weekly my nitrates were climbing, but yet my po4 was hanging on by a thread. I purchased a bottle of Fritz zyme 9 and added it to my tank just as an experiment while I wait for my water box to show up.

It actually started to bring down my nitrates, and my po4 is stable now but it could also be a coincidence because I also added a few weeks ago a bag of seachem Matrix in a filter bag and dropped it in the bottom of my rear chamber. There definitely isn't enough beneficial bacteria growing on it but I also do have a couple bags of biogems that have been in the system since day one. Either it was Fritz or the Fritz helped establish the Matrix really quick or it was just a wild coincidence :/

As for chemipure I tried it in my tank and my system did not like it whatsoever so I took it out and gave it a quick rinse and put it back in its container and tried it later on after the tank started to somewhat mature and still all my tank inhabitants dislike that Boyd product so for me I threw it in the garbage and I refuse to use that stuff. I find I have way more success just using seachem Purigen and a small bag of seachem carbon.
Thank you for the product info, I will look into them! I had the Chemipure in it before but had taken it out because everything was looking good ‍♀️ yea shouldn't have messed with anything lol

Avast

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back