I'm adding a porcupine puffer to my 125...

BRS

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after much research as to what I will add to my 125, which currently has a nice quantity of coral and two Ocellaris clowns, I've decided a porcupine puffer is the way to go.

Liveaquaria defines them as being "moderate" in their care level and NOT reef compatible.

But my research shows that they are located in many different areas throughout the oceans, including tropical reefs. So I don't quite understand why they are not reef compatible.

I am interested in hearing back from everyone, but specifically from people who have owned these. If you have experience with these guys, please share them with me.

Thank you,
Dom

Tired

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
"Not reef compatible" means "will eat corals and maybe also your other critters", not "reefs will harm it". A lot of animals that live around coral reefs are adapted to eat those coral reefs, and pufferfish will happily eat any shelled invertebrate they can find, including shrimp, crabs, and snails.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Not reef compatible" means "will eat corals and maybe also your other critters", not "reefs will harm it". A lot of animals that live around coral reefs are adapted to eat those coral reefs, and pufferfish will happily eat any shelled invertebrate they can find, including shrimp, crabs, and snails.

No, I get that... when they say not reef compatible, they mean it will destroy the reef.

But what have YOUR experiences been? Do you or have you ever owned one?

AquaCave Logo Banner

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They like crunchy things is the issue, They naturally bite coral and rock to keep their teeth trimmed down. They dont eat coral per se but they just munch it. Although this is rarer than chomping on the crunchy critters they can eat, aka all your snails crabs and shrimp.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They like crunchy things is the issue, They naturally bite coral and rock to keep their teeth trimmed down. They dont eat coral per se but they just munch it. Although this is rarer than chomping on the crunchy critters they can eat, aka all your snails crabs and shrimp.

So keeping them well fed may help.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can say is I did a test. I have a dogface puffer, not the same as you, but its another species of large puffer. I fragged some of my random zoas and then placed that frag of zoas in my fowlr tank. And my puffer ate it and bit a chunk out of the plug in about 30 minutes. Now this is obviously part my fault bc the puffer associates my hand with food. So take that fwiw.

Avast
OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can say is I did a test. I have a dogface puffer, not the same as you, but its another species of large puffer. I fragged some of my random zoas and then placed that frag of zoas in my fowlr tank. And my puffer ate it and bit a chunk out of the plug in about 30 minutes. Now this is obviously part my fault bc the puffer associates my hand with food. So take that fwiw.

Perhaps during QT, I can place some frags to see its response.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps during QT, I can place some frags to see its response.
That would be a good idea. I was doomed anyway because of the puffer and 4 species of trigger I have, but I wanted to give it a shot. I even tried a rock flower nem and they ate that too.

Tired

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I haven't kept a porcupine puffer, no, but you seemed confused about the meaning of the term. Parrotfish, after all, live in coral reefs, and they are the epitome of not-reef-safe.

Think of a pufferfish like a rat. It has to chew on solid surfaces to stop its teeth killing it, and you can't train it to only chew certain solid surfaces, so everything in its habitat has to be something it's free to chew. Puffers also make use of their beak to eat just about anything they think looks tasty, and are strong enough to take a big chunk out of anything just on a testing taste, no matter if they decide to chew properly.

Corals.com

Cyanohater

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let me know how this works out. I'm gonna be adding a valentini into my reef. I am going to experiment with ways to disencourage him to eat stuff I don't want him eating.
So after much research as to what I will add to my 125, which currently has a nice quantity of coral and two Ocellaris clowns, I've decided a porcupine puffer is the way to go.

Liveaquaria defines them as being "moderate" in their care level and NOT reef compatible.

But my research shows that they are located in many different areas throughout the oceans, including tropical reefs. So I don't quite understand why they are not reef compatible.

I am interested in hearing back from everyone, but specifically from people who have owned these. If you have experience with these guys, please share them with me.

Thank you,
Dom

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't kept a porcupine puffer, no, but you seemed confused about the meaning of the term. Parrotfish, after all, live in coral reefs, and they are the epitome of not-reef-safe.

Think of a pufferfish like a rat. It has to chew on solid surfaces to stop its teeth killing it, and you can't train it to only chew certain solid surfaces, so everything in its habitat has to be something it's free to chew. Puffers also make use of their beak to eat just about anything they think looks tasty, and are strong enough to take a big chunk out of anything just on a testing taste, no matter if they decide to chew properly.

The meaning of which term?

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let me know how this works out. I'm gonna be adding a valentini into my reef. I am going to experiment with ways to disencourage him to eat stuff I don't want him eating.

Initially, I was going to add (4) Valentini puffers.

The two clowns in the tank killed off a Valentini on me which was surprising as they were inseparable for the first year I had them (... In a 40 gallon).

My thinking was "safety in numbers".

I picked the Porcupine Puffer because I knew the pair of Oscillaris wouldn't mess with it.

xsnys

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Initially, I was going to add (4) Valentini puffers.

The two clowns in the tank killed off a Valentini on me which was surprising as they were inseparable for the first year I had them (... In a 40 gallon).

My thinking was "safety in numbers".

I picked the Porcupine Puffer because I knew the pair of Oscillaris wouldn't mess with it.

I think the #1 question to ask yourself here should be "Am I willing to loose my fish, inverts and corals in exchange for keeping a cool puffer fish in my tank?"

If yes: Get it
If no: Don't get it.

Tired

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The meaning of which term?
"Reef-compatible". I have no way of knowing your experience level, and there are certainly fish that aren't reef safe in the sense that reefs aren't safe for /them/.

You might consider starting a smaller tank, and moving your clowns, anemone, and favorite corals to that tank. Then you have the big tank open for the puffer, and he can decimate whatever he wants. Clownfish don't need a 125 worth of space, they shouldn't mind.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Reef-compatible". I have no way of knowing your experience level, and there are certainly fish that aren't reef safe in the sense that reefs aren't safe for /them/.

You might consider starting a smaller tank, and moving your clowns, anemone, and favorite corals to that tank. Then you have the big tank open for the puffer, and he can decimate whatever he wants. Clownfish don't need a 125 worth of space, they shouldn't mind.
LOL... yes, I figured it out after a minute.

Currently, I am running 4 tanks of different sizes, so another tank is something I want to avoid.

I started the 125 because the pair of 40s I have became overgrown with corals. So I moved everything over to the 125.

Maybe my original plan to go with the (4) Valentini is the answer. My primary objective is to add to this beautiful 125 I've assembled.

Last edited:
AquaCave Logo Banner

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

Thank you,
Dom
Beware. That cuteness can be your nightmare. They are messy housekeepers, run up nitrates, and need to sharpen their clamshell like teeth regularly and will utilize any given coral to accomplish that.
As they get larger, you may find one of the clowns in their mouth. I owned an LFS for years and seen this more than once. As you know, I only keep large tanks and they are always minus any puffers.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beware. That cuteness can be your nightmare. They are messy housekeepers, run up nitrates, and need to sharpen their clamshell like teeth regularly and will utilize any given coral to accomplish that.
As they get larger, you may find one of the clowns in their mouth. I owned an LFS for years and seen this more than once. As you know, I only keep large tanks and they are always minus any puffers.

And cuteness is WHY I picked this fish. But I didn't go through the trouble of building this 125 only to have it be destroyed.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back