Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, all! I am new to the forum and also brand new to the marine world. I bought a used IM 30L and it didn’t come with filter socks. I’m wondering what my best bet for socks is. What size, square, round, micron, one or two?

Can anyone lead me in a good direction for this?

Thanks in advance!
Chris

4C6D9EBC-E4AE-4B1B-850E-195876BA23D0.jpeg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
S

SalinityNoob

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll want the Innovative Marine ones. You local M dealer should have these or they can order them online. You can also run the caddies with filter floss, ChemiPure Blue and bio media.
Thanks, I’m looking at them right now. I found them on BRS. They are having a weekend sale ending tonight on filter socks (buy 2 get 1) but they are not on the IM specific socks that come attached to the little square holder unfortunately. I also read that they are 200micron and clog rapidly so you need to pay close attention to them. I figure I’ll buy two and run one and leave the other aspect of the sump without one so I don’t have an issue with water pouring out of my tank.

Top Shelf Aquatics

PR_nano

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
S

SalinityNoob

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the ones for the Nuvo 30 (Mid size) https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/midsize-30-40-filter-sock-w-custom-holder-innovative-marine.html

Like @blaxsun mention you could run the caddies it will make life easier just to replace the floss vs washing socks.

IM also has the manual filter rollers someone posted that needed to adjust daily though.
I bought a few of the socks so I can tinker. I’ll see how they work out. I’m supposed to receive a bunch of goodies tomorrow and I should be able to start the tank up soon. Got salt, sand, rock, RODI and lights coming tomorrow so I hope to have the RO up and working soon.

PR_nano

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IM makes really good tanks and the 30l is a nice one. I was considering that one before getting the Nuvo 20. I believe it’s now discontinued but there are plenty out there for inspiration unless you have it all plan out. Happy reefing!

Avast
OP
OP
S

SalinityNoob

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IM makes really good tanks and the 30l is a nice one. I was considering that one before getting the Nuvo 20. I believe it’s now discontinued but there are plenty out there for inspiration unless you have it all plan out. Happy reefing!
Thanks, I’m super excited to get it up and running. I bought it used from someone online and I got the tank, stand, a Jaebo wave maker, media reactor, DC pump and a skimmer all for $300. So I think I did really good for that price. I then went and spent like $1200 on goodies this week lol.

I went to Reef a Palooza in Orlando last weekend with my father as well. He’s a fresh water guy, but I asked him to join me for a little father son time looking at things we can both appreciate. I think a marine tank would be a lot of upkeep for him and that’s not gonna fit into his style even though he’s retired now.
Again, I’m really excited to give it all a go and try my best to do it correctly. I’ll be sure to post up my successes and my failures as well as my pics when I’m setup!

Chris

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Aquatic Life TDS Pen Offer
Back