Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a IM 25 lagoon (old model if it matters). I’m running out of room to fit things. I’m curious if it’s recommended that BOTH drains have mechanical filtration at the top (filter floss, roller filter, etc). I could get everything I want where I want it if I removed one of the media baskets on the right or left but I would lose the ability to run filter floss. Basically I’d like to run filter roller on one side and use the other for something else but in my head that will allow detritus back there where it could get trapped. Thoughts?

Nutramar Foods

OutColdCRNA

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a media rack in one overflow side and a floss holder from intank in the other. It allows for room underneath the floss holder because it just sits at the overflow height. When I do a water change I pull the floss holder and the media basket and use a turkey baster to blast the chamber free of anything that may have accumulated. It gets sucked into the return pump and back into the system to catch in the filter floss on the way back through.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use as many options as you have available, depending what you plan on placing there (maybe mention that so you can get better opinions) I would think having floss on both sides would be a waste if you have the option of say a skimmer or reactor.

OP
OP
D

Dine

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use as many options as you have available, depending what you plan on placing there (maybe mention that so you can get better opinions) I would think having floss on both sides would be a waste if you have the option of say a skimmer or reactor.
my ideal setup:

1st left chamber- filter roller
2nd left chamber- probe holder future dosing

middle chamber- return and ato sensor/fill tube
1st right chamber- 2x Neo therm heater
2nd right chamber- chaeto refugium

the probes I used to have setup in the middle but doesn’t always remain deep enough for the probes I felt like. Fine at full but lower until ATO kicks on.

current setup:
2x media baskets both with filter floss at top and no where to put the heater so the refugium Is out for the moment

Last edited:

Reef.

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st left chamber- filter roller
2nd left chamber- probe holder future dosing

middle chamber- return and ato sensor/fill tube
1st right chamber- 2x Neo therm heater
2nd right chamber- chaeto refugium

the probes I used to have setup in the middle but doesn’t always remain deep enough for the probes I felt like. Fine at full but lower until ATO kicks on.
Sounds you could fix in a lot more than you are planning, to give you an idea, I have a nuvo 14, I have a roller filter, a reactor, two heaters, ato, return and dosing.

Going from your plan, I would think a skimmer or reactor would be more effective than the refugium.

OP
OP
D

Dine

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds you could fix in a lot more than you are planning, to give you an idea, I have a nuvo 14, I have a roller filter, a reactor, two heaters, ato, return and dosing.

Going from your plan, I would think a skimmer or reactor would be more effective than the refugium.
Personal experience, no better export than chaeto and it’s simple. But that being said Refugium or skimmer or reactor. It’s all going to take 1 chamber. The question I have is do I NEED mechanical filtration(specifically talking filter floss/filter roller) at both drain points or can I get away with it at only 1

the Nuvo 14 only has 1 drain I think right? If you had 2 would you want/need a roller or filter floss at the other to stop large detritus from getting back there

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Reef.

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personal experience, no better export than chaeto and it’s simple. But that being said Refugium or skimmer or reactor. It’s all going to take 1 chamber. The question I have is do I NEED mechanical filtration(specifically talking filter floss/filter roller) at both drain points or can I get away with it at only 1

I already answered that, no not if you can replace the 2nd floss/roller with something else…so it’s either a 2nd roller or a refugium? If that is your plan, then as said go for the something else option i.e the refugium rather then the 2nd roller.

Not knowing the flow of that tank, a 2nd roller might not even work if the water comes from the bottom up, rather than down through the roller.(I’m guessing it has two returns?)

OP
OP
D

Dine

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already answered that, no not if you can replace the 2nd floss/roller with something else…so it’s either a 2nd roller or a refugium? If that is your plan, then as said go for the something else option i.e the refugium rather then the 2nd roller.

Not knowing the flow of that tank, a 2nd roller might not even work if the water covers up, rather than down through the roller.
No it wouldn’t be a second roller. I’d like to just run the one and use the 2nd drain to house the 2 heaters which allows me to put the refugium back in the 2nd chamber.

another option. Would putting the heaters in the same Chamber as the probes, especially the temp probe, throw off the reading.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it wouldn’t be a second roller. I’d like to just run the one and use the 2nd drain to house the 2 heaters which allows me to put the refugium back in the 2nd chamber.

another option. Would putting the heaters in the same Chamber as the probes, especially the temp probe, throw off the reading.

try it, you can always add more if it’s not exporting the nutrients you expect, yes having the probes in the same place as the heaters will affect the temp, whether it’s enough to alter the temp much is hard to say, depends on a number of factors, such as room temp, water flow , how big the probes are etc (what temp controller are you using, probes are normally small, they normally can fit in anywhere) always best to have the probes away from the heater.

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
D

Dine

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try it, you can always add more if it’s not exporting the nutrients you expect, yes having the probes in the same place as the heaters will affect the temp, whether it’s enough to alter the temp much is hard to say, depends on a number of factors, such as room temp, water flow , how big the probes are etc (what temp controller are you using, probes are normally small, they normally can fit in anywhere) always best to have the probes away from the heats.
That’s what I was thinking. It’s all on an apex. Temp and PH, didn’t bother hooking salinity up.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I was thinking. It’s all on an apex. Temp and PH, didn’t bother hooking salinity up.
Keep an eye on salinity, in my experience a roller will slow the flow enough to trigger the ato. Not suggesting you go with the apex salinity probe but keep an eye on it.

OP
OP
D

Dine

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye on salinity, in my experience a roller will slow the flow enough to trigger the ato. Not suggesting you go with the apex salinity probe but keep an eye on it.
Thanks. I test it with the digital Milwaukee fairly often. But good advice to watch it after the roller

Top Shelf Aquatics
AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AquaCave Logo Banner
Back