If you purchased peppermint shrimp that ate aiptasia, please post the source

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After losing countless Copperband butterflies, I need another solution for managing aiptasia.

If you have a source of peppermint shrimp that you’ve witnessed eat aiptasia, please tell me the source. I’m ready to purchase several of them.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’ll depend on what species they are also. Some eat coral.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quarantine shrimp with aiptasia. They will learn to eat them when they are hungry. Once they go into the reef though, mine will slow down eating aiptasia and eat more fish food and pods. Peppermints are pods vacuums at night.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way I have found out to determine if a peppermint shrimp or a Filefish will eat Aiptasia is to put it in the tank and see what happens.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a slow process for both Matted Filefish and Peppermint. Source of purchase is irrelevant. Correct animal is. Even if one gets the correct animal it still may not work as the environment is different for both animal and hobbyist.

Heck my Milletseed Butterflyfish eats Aiptasia like it is candy but I wouldn't recommend it.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After losing countless Copperband butterflies, I need another solution for managing aiptasia.

If you have a source of peppermint shrimp that you’ve witnessed eat aiptasia, please tell me the source. I’m ready to purchase several of them.
Curious, I have a Copperband butterfly in QT at the moment in preparation for adding him to my DT to fight aptasia. You've had bad luck with this approach. Did you lose the CBB's to disease, bullying, or just not eating anything?

Thanks

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had a peppermint shrimp not eat aiptasia no matter the source and usually see results if not total success overnight.
Ohh. That’s exciting!!
Curious, I have a Copperband butterfly in QT at the moment in preparation for adding him to my DT to fight aptasia. You've had bad luck with this approach. Did you lose the CBB's to disease, bullying, or just not eating anything?

Thanks
They seem to not eat enough for survival. The longest Copperband I kept was when I was feeding live whiteworms. I got lax with my excessive feedings, and it slowly declined.

I don’t have my worm culture anymore, and every copperband I’ve tried since either just didn’t eat enough or didn’t eat at all.

Sometimes they just die from getting stuck on my powerheads. They seem to lose balance when they’re about to die.

The white worm culture was doing well, but after the copperband died at the time, I just got rid of it since I had no more purpose for it.

It’s too hot to start a new culture now because of shipping.

They never had diseases or getting bullied. It’s just from the lack of food. They are very difficult to feed, and it’s pretty labor intensive since they don’t really eat from the water column and need to eat many times a day.

Last edited:

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohh. That’s exciting!!

They seem to not eat enough for survival. The longest Copperband I kept was when I was feeding live whiteworms. I got lax with my excessive feedings, and it slowly declined.

I don’t have my worm culture anymore, and every copperband I’ve tried since either just didn’t eat enough or didn’t eat at all.

Sometimes they just die from getting stuck on my powerheads. They seem to lose balance when they’re about to die.

The white worm culture was doing well, but after the copperband died at the time, I just got rid of it since I had no more purpose for it.

It’s too hot to start a new culture now because of shipping.
Thanks, That's why I've put off getting a CBB for some time. Concerned about eating. I've had this one 2 weeks. He is eating pellets and frozen blood worms, frozen mysis, nibbling on some algae (live and dried), but I have my doubts that will work long term. I hope I can keep him going long enough to get him in the DT with the aptasia or I will have to try the shrimp route too

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My two came from @Queen City Corals , they don’t list them for sale online but they usually have some in store. You may be able to call and order some. They absolutely destroyed my aptasia and now are happy with pellets and mysis.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back