If dosing Microbacter clean will coralline algae be able to grow?

Corals.com

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Microbacter does NOTHING for coralline. You need to seed it from rocks, snails or something else with live coralline spores on its. I suggest the ARC stuff in a bottle, I had a good experience with it but your cal/alk/mg need to be in the zone for growth first, ime.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
D

desjared

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you think microbacter clean will interfere with coraline algae?
I guess because it states it cleans surfaces rocks glass etc. pretty new to the hobby tank is almost at the year mark. But was wondering if it wouldn’t allow the coralline to grow bc it’s cleaning purposes on surfaces.

srobertb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They mean that it will clean built up detritus. Not coralline algae.

You will see mixed opinions on dumping bottles of stuff in your tank on here. It’s also nearly impossible with things like this to determine actual efficacy.

I don’t recall ever seeing a negative review for MB7, just “it’s great” or “it did nothing.”

My only concern, and it may be misinformed in this ca, is to watch O2 levels anytime you are dosing anything meant to rapidly breakdown nutrients. (As simple as observing fish for signs of struggling to breath).

I would be wary of where I bought it from. I have to imagine it has a shelf life and things like sitting in a hot warehouse at effect the product.

Can I ask why you are choosing to use this product? Are you having a specific issue?

edit: as an addendum. The most common issue with coralline algae for me is change in lighting which will cause it to bleach then regrow- often a different color or in a different growth pattern. I find that Urchins are the only CUC member that will eat it. Coralline algae is a “cheap date” in that given light, ok water quality, and reasonably stable levels of calcium/alk it will inevitably grow. It will hitchhike in on frag plugs or LR. I have managed to keep it from NOT growing in my anemone tank by keeping Calcium very low.

OP
OP
D

desjared

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They mean that it will clean built up detritus. Not coralline algae.

You will see mixed opinions on dumping bottles of stuff in your tank on here. It’s also nearly impossible with things like this to determine actual efficacy.

I don’t recall ever seeing a negative review for MB7, just “it’s great” or “it did nothing.”

My only concern, and it may be misinformed in this ca, is to watch O2 levels anytime you are dosing anything meant to rapidly breakdown nutrients. (As simple as observing fish for signs of struggling to breath).

I would be wary of where I bought it from. I have to imagine it has a shelf life and things like sitting in a hot warehouse at effect the product.

Can I ask why you are choosing to use this product? Are you having a specific issue?

edit: as an addendum. The most common issue with coralline algae for me is change in lighting which will cause it to bleach then regrow- often a different color or in a different growth pattern. I find that Urchins are the only CUC member that will eat it. Coralline algae is a “cheap date” in that given light, ok water quality, and reasonably stable levels of calcium/alk it will inevitably grow. It will hitchhike in on frag plugs or LR. I have managed to keep it from NOT growing in my anemone tank by keeping Calcium very low.
Appreciate the insight. Reason for using was I was explaining to the owner of the LFS about my GHA outbreak I mean some strands were a few inches long. He recommended the Microbacter clean and said he used in his tanks which all looked good and I’ve had no issues with live stock from there. So started dosing following directions about a month ago. Did a big clean on the rocks to remove GHA and water change and have to say the product has worked I have very minimal if any growing back. No issues with coral as I have softies and LPS and fish all doing good. I just got in my head that maybe this product wouldn’t allow coralline growth but it seems from the responses it won’t hinder anything with the coralline.

srobertb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the insight. Reason for using was I was explaining to the owner of the LFS about my GHA outbreak I mean some strands were a few inches long. He recommended the Microbacter clean and said he used in his tanks which all looked good and I’ve had no issues with live stock from there. So started dosing following directions about a month ago. Did a big clean on the rocks to remove GHA and water change and have to say the product has worked I have very minimal if any growing back. No issues with coral as I have softies and LPS and fish all doing good. I just got in my head that maybe this product wouldn’t allow coralline growth but it seems from the responses it won’t hinder anything with the coralline.
Glad it worked out for you.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Vivid
Back