Identification and medication

saltreefer121

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have an issue with a fish in my display tank (DT). Through research, I am pretty sure it is some kind of internal parasite, but I'm still not sure and any help would be appreciated.

My rabbitfish has tiny white raised bumps on its body and flat white marks on its fins. As wells as having brown/red splotches on its body. I have tried to take some pictures of them but they don't really show up. Also it has clouded eyes.
1000009269.jpg
1000009268.jpg
1000009267.jpg
1000009266.jpg
It is eating well and has normal poop. I haven't seen it flashing, but it does appear to have marks on its face that I'm assuming are from flashing.

I live in the uk so any ideas on medication would be greatful. Because we don't seem to have any of the good stuff here.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures/video taken under white light would help, these are pretty blue.

However, I see white spots on the clear portion of the fins, and that indicates marine ich, Cryptocaryon. There are some black spots on its belly that could be turbellarian worms. Usually, these diseases require two different treatments.

This is going to be a tough one because you also have corals in the tank. Basically, all fish in the tank would need to be removed for treatment and then not returned to this tank for 60 days. The two best treatments are coppersafe or hyposalinity. The latter might kill the turbellarian worms as well.

OP
OP
S

saltreefer121

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, thanks for your help. I will try to get some pictures under white light. I thought the spots could be ich as i do have delt with that before. I normally dose with oodinex esha as that is reef safe and i run a tmc vevton titan 850, which seems to keep it under bay. The rabbitfish is the only fish in my DT that is showing the syptoms of ich again.

It is tough but i might just have to set up a QT tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hi, thanks for your help. I will try to get some pictures under white light. I thought the spots could be ich as i do have delt with that before. I normally dose with oodinex esha as that is reef safe and i run a tmc vevton titan 850, which seems to keep it under bay. The rabbitfish is the only fish in my DT that is showing the syptoms of ich again.

It is tough but i might just have to set up a QT tank.
Turn off the blue and assure the glass is clear and use white intensity only.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back