Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ATO Container is slightly taller than my sump and I need to come up with a way to mount the output tube a couple of inches above the top of my sump to avoid starting a syphon when the ATO pump shuts off. So, I am looking for ideas and suggestions for good ways to do this. On my old tank I clipped the output tube to my skimmer but my new skimmer doesn't have a place for doing that. So I need maybe some sort of bracket that I can attach to my sump that would elevate the tube. Here is my current setup that is too low. Thanks!

i-t99MNnD-XL.jpg

AquaCave Logo Banner

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You say the ato container is taller than the sump. If the pump is in the bottom of the ato container it should be lower than the end of the hose and a syphon will not start. The only way a syphon will start is if the pump is higher than the end of the hose going to the sump. Unless you have the ato container elevated I don't see a problem :thinking-face: just make sure the end of the hose going to the sump stays above the water level

Last edited:
OP
OP
Patrick Cox

Patrick Cox

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You say the ato container is taller than the sump. If the pump is in the bottom of the ato container it should be lower than the end of the hose and a syphon will not start. The only way a syphon will start is if the pump is higher than the end of the hose going to the sump. Unless you have the ato container elevated I don't see a problem :thinking-face: just make sure the end of the hose going to the sump stays above the water level

Hi,
The pump level is not the determining factor. It is the water level in the container vs the level of the output tube. If the output tube is lower than the water level in the container, then a syphon will start. Right now I keep the water level in the container lower than the top of the sump, but I am still currently at risk. Here is another picture...

Thanks.

i-kF9CsbV-XL.jpg

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. That's not how it worked in my system. I created a chamber on the end of my sump as an ATO reservoir. That reservoir when full had a water level 10 inches higher than the level of the return chamber where the ato hose pumped to. No syphon ever because the end of the hose is attached to the pump that is lower than the end of the hose water discharged from. The only way a syphon could start is if the pump were raised so it is higher than the discharge end.
When you syphon water out of your tank the discharge end of the hose has to be lower then the intake end not just lower than the water level of the tank
;)
Edit: Unless I am misunderstanding and you are talking about water back siphoning into the ato chamber? If so just don't submerge the discharge end of the ato hose.

Nutramar Foods
Top Shelf Aquatics
AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
www.Riptideaquaculture.com
Back