Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Friends. I am curious if anyone has any thoughts as to what this is called? It started as an unnamed zoa frag I picked up at a local store. The polyps looked like the typical zoa size and shape. Recently the polyps and tentacles off of them have grow to looking like pallys.

Any thoughts on these? Thanks!

IMG_4193.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics
World Wide Corals
OP
OP
CoachRichardson

CoachRichardson

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it really matter the name/type? You already have palys in the tank...
Well, I was just curious from an education standpoint. I have never seen some grow out to this point. Just looking for insight from those that might have seen them before...

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

footgal

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tbh, a lot of people are confused about what makes the difference between a zoa and a paly. Ime, the best way to tell is if they incorporate sand into the stalk part (this can be observed as a bumpy surface, white specks, or in extreme cases an entire tube structure) that would make it a paly for sure.

Zoas and palys both have the same care & precautions when handling. It looks like you have something reminiscent of a Cinder or Burning Embers because of the smudge of purple in the center. Like a Great Value burning embers. The color should develop better if you move it to higher light. Light deficiency is also the reason your zoas/palys are so tall instead of sitting flush to the floor. Decreasing flow will help get that skirt to shorten and look more cute and rounded (if that’s what you’re going for). Happy reefing!

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Printed Reef - Custom Reef Accessories
Back