Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi just seen theses 2 growing on live rock . The live rock came out of a reef tank that was been broken down but had been running 10 years . They look a bit like a zoa but have clear storks attached to live rock . Any I d would be great and if there anything to worry about
FE6F4F2B-F00C-4AEC-96F1-71F13E664161.jpeg

jkcoral

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a couple of “nuclear green” palys. Are they green under blue light?

Only thing to worry about is those guys growing like weeds and taking over the rocks. And they can be a pain to remove because of palytoxin and their crazy growth rate in the tank.

Personally, I’d remove them now. I know quite a few reefers who got these as one of their first corals and end up having to start from zero/complete reboot a few years later after those things took over.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Nman

Nman

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Only thing to worry about is those guys growing like weeds and taking over the rocks. And they can be a pain to remove because of palytoxin and their crazy growth rate in the tank.

Personally, I’d remove them now. I know quite a few reefers who got these as one of their first corals and end up having to start from zero/complete reboot a few years later after those things took over.
Good to know I will have a look tonight under blue light see what colour they are but if there going to take over there out lol

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Nman

Nman

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yep your correct bright green and I have hidden zoas bright red centres under blue light and some bright yellow. Thanks everybody for your advice on palys

Upvote 0

areefer01

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are invasive if left unchecked.

If you like them, keep them. If you don't like them, or invasive corals, get some f-aiptasia or make some kalk paste and take care of the issue now while it is small.

Also do a search on paly toxin. This is why some hobbyist have concerns about them.

Upvote 0
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

NYOS
Back