+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all,

I am battling dinos - took a microscope to confirm it - and it looks quite clearly as Dino to me. What do you think?

But my question is, that among dinos and other stuff, there is a warm-styled creature... does anyone has a clue
- what it is?
- is it helful or a problem?
- is it eating the dinos and helping to solve my dino outbreak?

The worm is best visible in 2nd part of the video, and it looks long and fat, so there is my hope if it could be eating the dinos actually (my understanding is that Dinos have also some creatures that consume it in natures food chain..)

PS. I did not monitored my PO4 levels after some changes, and when this stuff starting to show up I measured it to find out they totally bottomedup. ZERO. I started to dose PO4 immediately and it was consumed in a blink, so my PO4 levels must have been really decimated. It is my first Dino outbreak and I will definitely not by lazy in future not to measure PO4 for longer time...

taricha

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what it is?
- is it helful or a problem?
- is it eating the dinos and helping to solve my dino outbreak?
These dinos are prorocentrum, and this worm is a type of ciliate.
This type of ciliate is one of the very few things that can eat some toxic dinos and grow. In a tiny tank of mine, I found it consuming ostreopsis.
If you look closely in your video, you can see a few ingested cells inside the ciliate.
I do not know if it will solve a dino problem, but I doubt it will end the bloom by itself. However in my tiny tank system as the dinos on the sand faded, samples of the sand showed many many of this kind of ciliate.

At the time, I spent days trying to get an even approximate genus or identification for it. Because I was interested in culturing them, but they seem very little known.

OP
OP
B

Bolek

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These dinos are prorocentrum, and this worm is a type of ciliate.
This type of ciliate is one of the very few things that can eat some toxic dinos and grow. In a tiny tank of mine, I found it consuming ostreopsis.
If you look closely in your video, you can see a few ingested cells inside the ciliate.
I do not know if it will solve a dino problem, but I doubt it will end the bloom by itself. However in my tiny tank system as the dinos on the sand faded, samples of the sand showed many many of this kind of ciliate.

At the time, I spent days trying to get an even approximate genus or identification for it. Because I was interested in culturing them, but they seem very little known.
Taricha, thank you very much for your clear answer and clarification, helps a lot.

Nutramar Foods
Deltec

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

WWW.ANIMATEDCORALS.COM
Back