Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, can I get help with an ID please? I thought I bought a mushroom. But when I dipped it the sides are encrusted and feels like calcification. Anyone know what this is? I want to make sure I keep it in the right place. Right now I have it on the sand like my other mushrooms.

20221204_133638.jpg

Avast
AquaCave Logo Banner

Tired

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh, that's an LPS of some sort. What'd you pay for it? Might have gotten a good deal, though the one-polyp frag is less than ideal for getting started.

Something in the brain coral department seems reasonable. Feed that sucker! Whatever it is, LPS like to be fed, either pellets or frozen food.

OP
OP
FinalMac

FinalMac

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, that's an LPS of some sort. What'd you pay for it? Might have gotten a good deal, though the one-polyp frag is less than ideal for getting started.

Something in the brain coral department seems reasonable. Feed that sucker! Whatever it is, LPS like to be fed, either pellets or frozen food.
Thanks for the help. The polyp is soft. I bought it for $20 at a local LFS. I have it in a medium flow area at about 100 par.

I will try feeding it. You think it might grow more polyps?

Tired

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Almost all corals will grow more polyps, becoming large colonies, if given the right conditions. The exceptions are things that split instead (i.e. corallimorphs/mushrooms), and things like meat corals, that remain a single polyp. Everything I can think of that looks this way is an LPS, which means, yes, more polyps.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
World Wide Corals
Back