Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I just received my ICP tests and it shows that I have elevated amounts of aluminum. The rumors of marine pure bricks leaking aluminum is 100% true as I have the tests to show it. I only had 1 block in my sump and it has been removed. I have done a lot of research about aluminum and from what I gathered it can play a roll in aiding diatom growth. The ICP tests also shows I have low levels of magnesium, which is also another factor of the nuisance algae growth. This is a bit surprising as I dose Reef Code A & B, which has a nice balance of magnesium.

Here are the results of the aluminum and magnesium

(Al) Aluminium: Analysis: 119.00 μg/l, Set point: 0 - 60 μg/l

(Mg) Magnesium: Analysis: 1221.00 mg/l, Set point: 1320 - 1500 mg/l

Will chemi-pure blue remove aluminum from the water?

I have corals right now that look like they are melting. I am not sure if it's because of higher aluminum or low magnesium, or both. I have a UV sterilizer coming in tomorrow that I will use to help rid the diatoms.

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

MarineandReef Jaron

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience is that the best way to remove aluminum is water changes and dedicated metal removers like TLF MetaSorb or a good old PolyFilter. As an old-school guy, I am partial to the PolyFilter.

When I first did ICP testing I too found high levels of Aluminum in my water. In my case, it was from Aluminum Oxide phosphate remover which is fine in moderation but I had been using a lot. You can usually drop the levels pretty quickly with a combination of water changes and a metal remover.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
JASON FOX SIGNATURE CORALS
Back