Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received an icp test back and it shows chrome(i assume chromium) and tin being elevated. First guess was an exposed magnet. Checked frag rack and this is what I found…does this appear to be a leaking magnet? Pics attached of discolored magnet, magnet that appears in good shape, and both side by side.

D9DD2935-B517-4EC1-86A9-0EF8ACD33DC1.jpeg
1951195A-9ABF-470C-BA0F-0B14C2799F99.jpeg
3B0D98D9-8F52-49C5-9467-0DC40282A1B3.jpeg

Nutramar Foods

s_miles

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have recently received ICP analysis with Tin. It has increased from 5 ppb to 20 ppb since December.

Triton suggested I look for rusted metal. I have not found anything obvious, but I use Vortech power heads known to crack and leach metals. I don’t know if EcoTech has eliminated this issue or not? I don’t see any obvious leaks.

You should read this post, and several others related to tin in Plastic:

Apparently tin is used in the manufacturer of common plastic.

I am currently waiting for a six package kit of ICP tests to check various plastics in my system. I use plastic tanks, bottles, a gravel siphon and poly tubing to convey water between all. Its hard to know where to start looking.

I wrote BRS and was told they were unaware of tin in plastic.

im losing oral to something and need to figure it out.

AS

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 15 ppb of tin is not, IMO, likely to be enough to cause a problem, but one cannot know for sure since tin comes in many different chemical forms with different properties. it of leaches out of plastics where it can be added as a heat stabilizer.

I do not know if the magnet is a source of anything.

I'm not sure the chromium is an issue either. Do corals seem OK?

This is from the EPA, although it is fairly old (1980):

"For total recoverable hexavalent chromium the criterion to protect saltwater aquatic life as derived using the Guidelines is 18 µg/l as a 24-hour average and the concentration should not exceed 1,260 µg/l at any time. "

AquaCave Logo Banner

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just worry because both elements did not show up in my first icp test 8 months ago, and i’ve not changed salt or anything.
IMO without consecutive monthly icp tests containing or with increasing levels of tin or chromium, it may not be a problem. These tests can be inaccurate or show false positives. I would plan on a few tests and that may help to paint a better picture of the system over time. Good luck

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AVAST
Back