Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So recently I’ve been battling cyano. About a month ago I used chemi clean and it went away for a week or so before coming back.
After the first dose my swallowtail angel quit eating.

Five days ago my yellow tang disappeared no trace. Then showed up two days later dead on the MP 40. He was healthy no issues. Been with me almost 3 years.

I ordered an ICP test to test the water at this point as I’ve had lack of coral success over the years.

After the tang died I decided to do the ICP test then I dosed a second round of chemi clean as the cyano was back. All fish were normal, minus the angel I still hadn’t noticed him eating. And as of today he’s dead, he had to have been eating something to last that long so im unsure of what’s going on.
I was sure to add more air to the tank with an air stone for both chemi clean treatments

looking at the ICP results I see high lithium but I’ve ready from Randy Holmes this has no real effect on our fish and is usually elevated in home aquariums. Everything else that’s yellow seems to be close to where it needs to be and shouldnt

50CC6FD5-766C-40AA-B2FE-4D0B12F61300.jpeg 8E7A2AB6-C156-4BA8-BC13-6CEC3F280934.jpeg 33BCBEE2-A378-493B-BA90-A6422668A929.jpeg

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
chemiclean is likely an antibiotic... some strains of cyano are toxic so they have negative effects when killed in mass by chemiclean. Can't rule out fish disease either, perhaps something new was added past month or maybe the chemi clean caused stress and a mild undetectable infection became a problem. ICP would not test for any of these things.

Also possible the medication had some effect on oxygen. Did you leave the skimmer running with cup off?

Fish can go many many weeks without food.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Cwentz758

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
chemiclean is likely an antibiotic... some strains of cyano are toxic so they have negative effects when killed in mass by chemiclean. Can't rule out fish disease either, perhaps something new was added past month or maybe the chemi clean caused stress and a mild undetectable infection became a problem. ICP would not test for any of these things.

Also possible the medication had some effect on oxygen. Did you leave the skimmer running with cup off?

Fish can go many many weeks without food.
Skimmer was on the whole time, cup on. Surface agitation was up with the MP40 and a medium air stone was placed in the display for the treatment.

the cyano I’ve had is the red slime looking kind. Turfs on the sand and rock, blows off easy.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

RED SEA
Back