Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, hope your are well. I recently did my first ICP-Analysis (Mass Spec 55+ Elements). One thing that caught my eye is that they measured PO4 (Phosphate) at 0ppb. Their optimal is 300ppb which is .3ppm. I thought the reef target was .03ppm.

However, when doing this test my Hanna checker shows .26ppm, so I ran GFO and am now at .14ppm. Confused why the ppb showed up at 0. Should I stop GFO?

I don't want to chase #'s but trying to make sense of this before I harm my tank. I have been having coral die off and algae growth so was trying to get to the bottom of things.

Outside of the Phosphates, the test also noted the follow:
Cobalt (.19ppb) - ICP Target 9pbb
Iron (6.35ppb) - ICP Target 20ppb
Manganese (.94ppb) - ICP Target 10ppb
Nickel (.84ppb) - ICP Target 5ppb
Zinc (1.50ppb) - ICP Target 20ppb

I have turned my All For Reef back on to dose some trace elements back into the tank.

Appreciate any thoughts; for now I stopped my GFO reactor until I get a better understanding of these results and get my reef back on track and stop losing corals.

Appreciate your thoughts.

OP
OP
TheSeas

TheSeas

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, hope your are well. I recently did my first ICP-Analysis (Mass Spec 55+ Elements). One thing that caught my eye is that they measured PO4 (Phosphate) at 0ppb. Their optimal is 300ppb which is .3ppm. I thought the reef target was .03ppm.

However, when doing this test my Hanna checker shows .26ppm, so I ran GFO and am now at .14ppm. Confused why the ppb showed up at 0. Should I stop GFO?

I don't want to chase #'s but trying to make sense of this before I harm my tank. I have been having coral die off and algae growth so was trying to get to the bottom of things.

Outside of the Phosphates, the test also noted the follow:
Cobalt (.19ppb) - ICP Target 9pbb
Iron (6.35ppb) - ICP Target 20ppb
Manganese (.94ppb) - ICP Target 10ppb
Nickel (.84ppb) - ICP Target 5ppb
Zinc (1.50ppb) - ICP Target 20ppb

I have turned my All For Reef back on to dose some trace elements back into the tank.

Appreciate any thoughts; for now I stopped my GFO reactor until I get a better understanding of these results and get my reef back on track and stop losing corals.

Appreciate your thoughts.
Here is the full view for reference:
1666750115693.png

AquaCave Logo Banner

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a big fan of the company or its very high "recommended" level of 0.3 ppm phosphate as a target.

For folks not dosing trace metals, they are often low by ICP. That does not necessarily mean the tank will benefit from more, but using a trace element supplement (such as TM A and K) is a fine experiment to see if it is helpful.

World Wide Corals

Becks17

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had the same thing happen to my last PO4 result. I had fed heavily in between tests in order to raise nutrients (from 51ppb), but now the latest test reads 0ppb. I was at MACNA where they described how much more sensitive their mass spec methodology is compared to the competitors, so I find it really unbelievable that it tested at 0.
I’ve done three tests so far through ICP-analysis and I’m now questioning how accurate they are. The values seem to be relatively all over the place from test to test.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back