Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I have a question can you mix cupramine and Ich x together? Or in small amounts different times? I’m really trying to get rid of Ick my poor puffer has it bad. I have him in a quarantine tank with the other fish. It’s a 20 gallon tank. I know puffers are sensitive to copper so I’m doing the doses slowly. I’m up for any suggestions. Just want my fish to be okay

image.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich-X changed their formulation, it is just formalin now. I would not dose those together. You can use formalin as a dip while treating with copper, but I don't think the dosage for that is on the Ich-X bottles.

Puffers are NOT overtly sensitive to a proper copper treatment, but they are sensitive to ich. What happens is that copper takes up to 3 days to really start to work. People also mistakenly ramp their copper up slowly. A puffer with ich then dies because copper was doses too late and too slow, and they then blame the copper. You need a good copper test kit of course.

Jay

Nutramar Foods

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general. That is something that got entrenched in the hobby, but is actually a mistake based on how the old copper/citric acid meds worked on some fish...Centropyge angels for example needed to be ramped up over 48 hours. That idea got transferred to the newer, safer meds and the 2 days became 5! Now, I deal with fish dying from disease during this ramp up period.
Jay

World Wide Corals

nereefpat

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general. That is something that got entrenched in the hobby, but is actually a mistake based on how the old copper/citric acid meds worked on some fish...Centropyge angels for example needed to be ramped up over 48 hours. That idea got transferred to the newer, safer meds and the 2 days became 5! Now, I deal with fish dying from disease during this ramp up period.
Jay

Do you recommend that fish visibly infected with ich go straight into 2.0 Copper Power then?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. To delay by ramping up to a full dose only allows ich to gain a stronger foothold. I’ve seen many cases where copper didn’t work fast enough to save the fish....
Jay

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Aqua SD
Back