ICH present in reef tank- what should I do?

BRS

Should I dose the reef with Kordon ICH Attack (mixed reviews) or set up a quarantine tank?

• Total voters

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 20g tank has been up for 1.5 months. Today I noticed my Phantom Ocellaris has a few spots of ich. I’m trying to figure out if I should dose the whole tank with Kordon ICH-Attack (allegedly reef safe) or set up a quarantine tank for the fish. I have 1 ocellaris, 1 BTA, a Banded shrimp and softies. My water parameters: Ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm, nitrate 0-5ppm, SG 1.025, PH 8.3. Thank you in advance for any response!

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I wouldn’t do a thing other than make sure my fish are fed well. I don’t qt just make sure my fish are fat!

lapin

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 2 approaches.
Rid the tank of ich thru a fallow period of 76 days. QT and treat the fish with TTM.
Manage the ich thru live and healthy food, good water parameters and possibly a UV unit

ca1ore

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 gallon tank with one fish ..... no brainer .... treat it in a QT and keep the tank fish free for three months. I have ich in my tank, but it’s 450 gallons and has 125 fish (which I couldn’t catch even if I wanted to .... and I don’t), so I manage it.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do either. I would make sure the water is as pristine as possible and feed the fish a variety of quality frozen food keeping them well fed. If everything is good they will fight it off with there immune system and it will go away.

OP
OP
RedFrog211

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do either. I would make sure the water is as pristine as possible and feed the fish a variety of quality frozen food keeping them well fed. If everything is good they will fight it off with there immune system and it will go away.
This is obviously a much cheaper and simpler alternative to buying and cycling a QT tank. I’ve been feeding Mysis with a bit of garlic (she was picky for a while) as well as FormulaOne pellets. What would you recommend for food?

OP
OP
RedFrog211

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is obviously a much cheaper and simpler alternative to buying and cycling a QT tank. I’ve been feeding Mysis with a bit of garlic (she was picky for a while) as well as FormulaOne pellets. What would you recommend for food?

KevinC

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I wouldn’t do a thing other than make sure my fish are fed well. I don’t qt just make sure my fish are fat!

+1 I gave up on quarantine fish. It's literally more stressful. Now it's survival of the fittest in there and so far of the 12 or so fishes I added, only a royal gramma died

Kryptonian

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. I have a 180g system with 8 fish that all went through 30 day medicated qt and I had a rough 2 days of minimal feedings and ich showed itself. Can’t believe it’s in the system but it’s there. Fed a variety diet for a few days and almost all symptoms disappeared. Blue tang and purple tang showed white spots and both recovered with a well rounded diet. Have a LARGE uv sterilizer working and kept them fed. Fish have a great immune system if they have low stress and a good diet. Key is LOW STRESS

OP
OP
RedFrog211

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. I have a 180g system with 8 fish that all went through 30 day medicated qt and I had a rough 2 days of minimal feedings and ich showed itself. Can’t believe it’s in the system but it’s there. Fed a variety diet for a few days and almost all symptoms disappeared. Blue tang and purple tang showed white spots and both recovered with a well rounded diet. Have a LARGE uv sterilizer working and kept them fed. Fish have a great immune system if they have low stress and a good diet. Key is LOW STRESS
I’m glad that worked out for you! Would’ve been a real pain to break down/ treat a 180- I’ll certainly give it a try. :)

Kryptonian

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using LRS reef frenzy + Marine Algae + Nori clips + Mysis shrimp
Also using bloodworms and clams not those are mostly for the angels.. tangs still get in there and eat those.
If you can. Soaking food in selcon and vit.c will help. Garlic is Only to help them want food. From what I’ve seen, garlic just helps them want food and doesn’t really have much of a medicinal benefit. Can hurt a fish liver in the long run.

management vs eradication is a serious choice. Do your research here!

Last edited:

HB AL

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A variety of different types of frozen shrimps, i feed my fish Hikari brand. Frozen clams would be good to. I would not feed the pellets.

OP
OP
RedFrog211

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Th
Using LRS reef frenzy + Marine Algae + Nori clips + Mysis shrimp
Also using bloodworms and clams not those are mostly for the angels.. tangs still get in there and eat those.
If you can. Soaking food in selcon and vit.c will help. Garlic is Only to help them want food. From what I’ve seen, garlic just helps them want food and doesn’t really have much of a medicinal benefit. Can hurt a fish liver in the long run.

management vs eradication is a serious choice. Do your research here!
Thank you! I’m going to my local fish store today to grab some. I really appreciate the help!

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve started doing research on places that QT the fish before you buy them. That way you can plop and go or as I like to do QT them and observe them for a week or two even if they were pre QT

Useless if you do not also QT everything else that goes into the tank. All it takes is a single drop of water from someone else’s tank and all the extra you spent on the QT fish will be frustrating.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When dealing with fish disease its best to peruse the fish disease forum and see how well non quarantine and non fallow is working for the masses, it’s not we can see in patterns

Bottled fixes only work in personal testimony there are zero pattern works for bottled preps in the places needing disease help

the stickies in the forum have the best current practices

disease is rampant and fallow qt is what people use to get patterns going, even though losses occurred there occasionally

it’s about the patterns, here, and nobody is successful skipping the hard work prep:

also missing from disease forum, non fallow practitioners running work threads showing other people how to make disease free tanks actually using others tanks we can track. Not their own single examples.
skipping fallow and qt doesn’t work, is why there are no work threads other than fallow and qt we can scan for patterns

thats today’s best science and the only source of real patterns new tankers can scan.
If anyone who doesn’t quarantine made a work thread inviting others to run their method, crypto would take over the entrants who run the methods supposed to prevent disease.

im linking this thread to my cycling thread on when to add fish to a new tank. I want readers to see how easy it seems to skip tank preps + the reality in that link above when we do.

Last edited:
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
RC
Back