ICH OUTBREAK

donnieb07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
begging for answers here. Less than 6 months into this so not very knowledgeable on disease treatment. Added two new fish to my tank (didn’t know about qt will do from now on) and one of them brought in ich. Threadfin now died from it, tuskfish is not doing well. (Camera will not pick up the spots but it looks 100% textbook ich) LFS is taking them both back for a return, but now what do I do going forward? FOWLR tank with 2 clownfish, a royal gramma, fire fish goby, blotched foxface). None of them appear to have it, but from what I understand it is still in the tank/will always be in the tank? How do I/can I completely eliminate ich so I don’t have to worry about it infecting my fish in the future? TIA

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
begging for answers here. Less than 6 months into this so not very knowledgeable on disease treatment. Added two new fish to my tank (didn’t know about qt will do from now on) and one of them brought in ich. Threadfin now died from it, tuskfish is not doing well. (Camera will not pick up the spots but it looks 100% textbook ich) LFS is taking them both back for a return, but now what do I do going forward? FOWLR tank with 2 clownfish, a royal gramma, fire fish goby, blotched foxface). None of them appear to have it, but from what I understand it is still in the tank/will always be in the tank? How do I/can I completely eliminate ich so I don’t have to worry about it infecting my fish in the future? TIA
While other fish don’t seem to have it, they’ve been exposed and may show signs the next 24-48 hours
It’s in your best interest to isolate them in a separate tank and treat them with coppersafe at 2.25 for 30 days and leave tank with no fish for 45-60 days to assure parasites die off with no host fish

OP
OP
D

donnieb07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While other fish don’t seem to have it, they’ve been exposed and may show signs the next 24-48 hours
It’s in your best interest to isolate them in a separate tank and treat them with coppersafe at 2.25 for 30 days and leave tank with no fish for 45-60 days to assure parasites die off with no host fish
Got it will do, should I treat the display tank with anything or it’ll go away on its own?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Generall
Got it will do, should I treat the display tank with anything or it’ll go away on its own?
Generally does not go away if on fish. TTM and hypo are stressful to certain fish and you want to be careful

OP
OP
D

donnieb07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update- woke up foxface has ich all over it :/

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In some cases people have raised the temperature to 81-82F to help slow down ich growth. I’ve also made sure all my frozen food is soaked with fish save garlic liquid and or my pellets have garlic in them. Make sure you have plenty of oxygenation and aeration in the tank because when Ich gets to the gills then it makes it extremely difficult for the fish to probably breathe. If you’re worried in the long run you could also get a UV sterilizer and of course quarantine all new fish before inserting them into the main display tank. I would say once this ich has passed and if you have fish that live on hopefully you do, try not to add any fish for a few months and make sure that you’re fish are well fed and do whatever you can to source your new fish from reputable places and check upon inspection that they don’t have any diseases or parasites. Ooh and try not to get fish that are more susceptible to ich than others like power blue tangs lol.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Update- woke up foxface has ich all over it :/
Raising temp is a method for velvet but will also reduce oxygen levels. As mentioned on risks, you will now have to quarantine foxface and any other occupants now exposed. Safest is coppersafe at 2.25 and monitored with Hanna brand copper test kit for a Full 30 days. Allow no fish (fallow) in the display tank for 45-60 days to assure parasites have died off without a host fish.
Ich management is a shortcut and rarely works an allows a given disease to gain hold of a fish. Treat now to prevent further issues

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raising temp is a method for velvet but will also reduce oxygen levels. As mentioned on risks, you will now have to quarantine foxface and any other occupants now exposed. Safest is coppersafe at 2.25 and monitored with Hanna brand copper test kit for a Full 30 days. Allow no fish (fallow) in the display tank for 45-60 days to assure parasites have died off without a host fish.
Ich management is a shortcut and rarely works an allows a given disease to gain hold of a fish. Treat now to prevent further issues
You’re right my bad I was thinking of freshwater.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In some cases people have raised the temperature to 81-82F to help slow down ich growth. I’ve also made sure all my frozen food is soaked with fish save garlic liquid and or my pellets have garlic in them. Make sure you have plenty of oxygenation and aeration in the tank because when Ich gets to the gills then it makes it extremely difficult for the fish to probably breathe. If you’re worried in the long run you could also get a UV sterilizer and of course quarantine all new fish before inserting them into the main display tank. I would say once this ich has passed and if you have fish that live on hopefully you do, try not to add any fish for a few months and make sure that you’re fish are well fed and do whatever you can to source your new fish from reputable places and check upon inspection that they don’t have any diseases or parasites. Ooh and try not to get fish that are more susceptible to ich than others like power blue tangs lol.
Garlic has no therapeutic benefits, it can help get a feeding response from fish that are not eating but the little research done on it shows it probably poses more harm to the fishes liver then the benefits people claim it has.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Edit - sorry, I see others have clarified this....

Raising the water temperature is a treatment for freshwater ich. Marine ich is a different species and actually thrives at higher temperatures, so it is best to keep the water temperature around 79 F. Garlic has not been proven to work against marine ich, it is at best a herbal tonic.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll look into it thank you

Here is a resource link for hyposalinity:

Jay

yabani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
File Fish - Ich Survivor - Need advice.
All my fish died after Ich Breakout - except the Star Fish, 3 Shrimps, and this File Fish.
two weeks back did a major 50%+ water replacement for my Redsea Reefer S-1000 G2+ plus full cleaning.
this fellow (File Fish) appeared to have survived, but please take a look at the Videos, does he look spotted to you?
I'm a bit reluctant into getting new fish into the tank.

Attachments

• 20240813_210912.mp4
    50.3 MB
  • 20240813_210734.mp4
    61.2 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
File Fish - Ich Survivor - Need advice.
All my fish died after Ich Breakout - except the Star Fish, 3 Shrimps, and this File Fish.
two weeks back did a major 50%+ water replacement for my Redsea Reefer S-1000 G2+ plus full cleaning.
this fellow (File Fish) appeared to have survived, but please take a look at the Videos, does he look spotted to you?
I'm a bit reluctant into getting new fish into the tank.
Looks like it is still carrying a mild case of ich. That can be contagious to other fish you might put in with it, or it could flare back up on this fish itself.

You should treat this fish in a treatment tank (no invertebrates) with Coppersafe for 30 days and leave your main tank fishless for 60 days.

yabani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently the tank itself has no invertebrates (3 x shrimp + 1 star fish). Could I treat the File Fish in this tank? My nano quarantine tank is fairly new and still recycling.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back