Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a small hooked up to my skimmer for 2 years now and have not gotten the expected results. it was installed based off the BRS instructional video as there were no box instructions.

In this demo the skimmer intake is connected to the outer port, which is what I did.

I have searched for other reefers installs and have found a mix of outer port and middle port, most these pictures are right after installation. So I decided to hit up the BRS support team who are always helpful.

my results after 2 years using their install:
pH 7.78-8.2
Never had the media change color. I would just change it at 4months because I figured it was necessary.

My conclusion was that the middle port is the correct skimmer intake because the water added to the lower chamber needs to humidify the media and the only way for this to occur is if the humidified air is drawn up through the media.
IMG_8818.jpeg

irritated that it took me this long to put together a pretty simple thing, but it appears others are doing it the wrong way as well and that could very well be based on the BRS video as there are not many available instructions for install.

(10:41:30 AM) Brad: Thank you for your patience! Based off what I am seeing and what you are describing I do believe your orientation is correct as otherwise the side port will draw air through the water after passing through the CO2 media, not before which is what is needed for the media to do its job.
(10:42:01 AM) Brad: I will have to reach out to our video team and see if there is any chance they can update this

if there are other Icecap scrubber users not getting results, I hope this helps. I have only recently had my pH go below 7.9 and I have been working to reach and average of 8.3 so this has been on my mind.

Nutramar Foods
Avast

Lothar

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue. Always wondered about correct hook up. Never had good results either. When I moved it to my new tank, I thought "I'm going to search and make sure this is the correct way". But what little I could find always showed the outside tube feeding the skimmer. Now I run it recirculating and don't know if it matters, but I get so much moisture in the bottom it plugs the tube and messes with the air draw to the skimmer.

OP
OP
iamacat

iamacat

Higher than my pH
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue. Always wondered about correct hook up. Never had good results either. When I moved it to my new tank, I thought "I'm going to search and make sure this is the correct way". But what little I could find always showed the outside tube feeding the skimmer. Now I run it recirculating and don't know if it matters, but I get so much moisture in the bottom it plugs the tube and messes with the air draw to the skimmer.
When I set this up I was irritated. Then I was ill and didn’t keep up with the tank for a while. Moved in the fall and have been getting the tank humming again and my pH is different here. I had 10 media bags in my reef boxes so I was like, alright let’s figure this out

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

SaltwaterAquarium.com
Back