Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of sad. My Nano Flipper magnet scraper has been scratching my front glass quite a ton inside.
Is there any way to prevent scratches? Do you guys just live with it, or have you found a way to prevent microscratches? Makes me want to go get a whole new tank..

Nutramar Foods

Idech

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2-3 magnetic glass cleaners scratch two of my tanks. I don’t know why, really. Maybe glass is more fragile these days because this had never happened before.

I took one of the magfloats and stuck a kitchen green pad on it (unused of course). I use that for my daily cleaning on the front glass. It does prevent most of the algae but every 2-3 weeks you need a bigger clean.

I use my Tunze cleaner for that, but I am very careful and I go slowly across the glass.

About the scratches I have already done, I figure when (if) I ever do a start over, I’ll just turn the tank around (no overflows).

AS

Amphibious Wallet

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the parts about keeping a reef tank I've been dreading - big thick-butt razors with hardened steel suited to leveling a flat surface.
Anyone tried going the more disposable route by employing ye old'e DE razors as they will be able to press much flatter against the glass/springy and more forgiving of point loads as the edges are dented and disfigured. I'd assume that would translate into being a one-time clean per blade ordeal, but $8 for a pack of 100 blades...

Top Shelf Aquatics

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Flipper magnet is so strong, that it happens eventually. You have to be so careful when you get near the sand line or it will pick something up and scratch all the way across your tank. I already replaced one tank because of it.

Now I use the Tunze Care Scraper. I am still extremely careful, but no scratches yet.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low iron glass is softer than float glass...so yes they scratch.
That's got nothing to do with it. I've seen all types of glass scratched from magnet cleaners. I learned the hard way about 15 years ago. A magnetic cleaner will never go near my tank.

Top Shelf Aquatics
AquaCave Logo Banner

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag floats and others will scratch without having any sand on it. That’s what is so frustrating.
I've never heard of a Tunze Care Magnet with the plastic blade ever scratch a tank - mine never has.

You have to be careful with metal blades, I use a new blade every time with those devices. it's worth the 10 cents.

wjgeese

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's got nothing to do with it. I've seen all types of glass scratched from magnet cleaners. I learned the hard way about 15 years ago. A magnetic cleaner will never go near my tank.
same. I scratched my brand new custom miracles tank with a flipper. JUNK JUNK JUNK. new razor blad every time for me from now on

CLICK TO VIEW

Idech

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard of a Tunze Care Magnet with the plastic blade ever scratch a tank - mine never has.

You have to be careful with metal blades, I use a new blade every time with those devices. it's worth the 10 cents.
I’m not 100% sure the Tunze has scratched anything but I think it has.

I have never used metal blades on this tank.

jft

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I NEVER EVER USE Magnetic scrapers after seeing My friends tank who did and had Some many scratches. I use elbow grease with paper towels and an acrylic tank sponge works GREAT> Good luck.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flipper caused all kinds of micro scratches in my bare bottom tank. Not sure if it scratches when it is flipping or just normal scraping. I threw it in the garbage and only use magic erasers now.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back