I need help with my stocking list for 50g tank

the bomb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The full list is a coral beauty royal gramma starry blenny, pistol shrimp and fire shrimp, clown goby, firefish, mandarin fish and a tang which I can’t decide on. Would these work in my tank size? I am aware that I would need to upgrade in a few years

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No to the tang. As for the rest, a lot of it depends on the aquascaping. So a pic would be needed of the tank.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally feel that if I know I would need a bigger tank in a few years, I should not not those fish in this tank now or ever. You never know what will happen 'in a few years.' I think you should rethink the Tang. I have a 55 gallon, (4' long) and I think it's too small for a Coral Beauty Angel, even though I would really, really like one.

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say no for the tang, and probably no for the mandarin until at least a year after the tank has been running

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The full list is a coral beauty royal gramma starry blenny, pistol shrimp and fire shrimp, clown goby, firefish, mandarin fish and a tang which I can’t decide on. Would these work in my tank size? I am aware that I would need to upgrade in a few years
No tangs in a 50 way too small. Yes the babies are super cute and tiny but they grow way too fast for the rehome idea or upgrade. It took me longer than I wanted to upgrade tanks because life got in the way. Bad idea. Rest of the list looks good though. Get fish for your tank size not the tank size you want in the future is what my experience taught me. I got lucky finding my 300 gallon because I was about to rehome my naso and unicorn tang because I knew they needed to br in a tank bigger than my 125 gallon. My two cents because those two fish grew a whole heck of a lot faster than I thought based on research. So if you want the tang, buy the appropriate tank size for one or stock for your tank now. Trust me, been there done that one lol and the stress of needing to find a new tank ASAP for a growing fish is not fun!!!

OP
OP
T

the bomb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was talking to a dude at pure reef where I’m buying my fish and he said he had a timing in a 55 that didn’t really grow thanks for the extra advice?

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was talking to a dude at pure reef where I’m buying my fish and he said he had a timing in a 55 that didn’t really grow thanks for the extra advice?
That would be from neglect (bad water quality and bad diet) if it isnt growing most likely.. no tangs in a 50. They do not grow to the size of the tank, that myth is horse****. Take it from someone who took that exact same advice from a LFS who did the same with his tank. Mine outgrew it in a month. Your tank you do what you want but you have people on here who care about you succeeding and care about the livestock’s well being. LFS only cares about a sale

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is Gemma. Shes a naso juv. Shes six inches roughly. Her size now is a tomini tang’s adult size. Yeah different size and minds but you get the picture. To put it in perspective Gemma is in a 300 gallon 96x24x29 tank with a 50 gal sump. Shes huge. The sailfin shes in with in one of the pictures us 7 inches long and 7 inches tall. Does that make more sense why people are saying no tang in a 50 gallon?

Attachments

• IMG_6206.jpeg
    IMG_6206.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6205.jpeg
    IMG_6205.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_6204.jpeg
    IMG_6204.jpeg
    125.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6202.jpeg
    IMG_6202.jpeg
    102.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6203.jpeg
    IMG_6203.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
T

the bomb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After re-thinking I might not do the fire fish but put a pair or trio of banggai cardinals and no tang would this work?

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After re-thinking I might not do the fire fish but put a pair or trio of banggai cardinals and no tang would this work?
Trio no, the male and female will pair and kill the odd fish out. Best advice is to go to a store that can sex them (males have a bigger mouth). Or get a trio and watch for when two pair off and remove the odd fish out so it isnt killed

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bangaii will fight, male/female pair only

If you want a trio of something then sissortail dartfish fit this niche

Mandarin will need a mature tank with lots of pods and microfauna. I have seen starving ones in 100g tanks because the pods just were not there. This fish may or may not be suitable in time but there is no way of knowing that now.

OP
OP
T

the bomb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bangaii will fight, male/female pair only

If you want a trio of something then sissortail dartfish fit this niche

Mandarin will need a mature tank with lots of pods and microfauna. I have seen starving ones in 100g tanks because the pods just were not there. This fish may or may not be suitable in time but there is no way of knowing that now.
I was planning on the mandarin last d I could set up a pod population

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the dart fish shoal or school? Or are they just hanging around the tank

Schooling/shoaling is difficult in our fake little ocean tanks. Fish just typically don’t do it after settled even if they do it in the wild.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back