I have a few questions about fleece rollers!

BRS

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish and starfish lover!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to fleece rollers and I got one as a gift for my Waterbox from @ocpondpoacher and I’m so excited to use it in a few hours when I turn my filtration back on…since I just added live coralline spores. The fleece roller is kind of like a toliet paper role lol! How often do I need to roll it? Shouldn’t it last a few months at least before needing to be changed? Does it filter similar to a filter sock…I heard they were better? This is the one I got! https://www.etsy.com/listing/1286901372/

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it's kind of like non-rip toilet paper. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
What kind of fleece roller did you get? Without knowing it's hard to advise how much you need to advance it or how long the fleece should typically last. I get between 20-25 days per 114' roll of fleece with my ReefMat 1200, but YMMV depending on the size of the tank, inhabitants, filtration, etc.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it's kind of like non-rip toilet paper. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
What kind of fleece roller did you get? Without knowing it's hard to advise how much you need to advance it or how long the fleece should typically last. I get between 20-25 days per 114' roll of fleece with my ReefMat 1200, but YMMV depending on the size of the tank, inhabitants, filtration, etc.

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, hand crank. In order to avoid wasting any fleece you don't usually need to advance too much - but this is going to vary greatly for your specific tank requirements. Depending on how often a day (or every few days) you want to do this, you'll want to advance enough fleece to prevent the water from overflowing the sides when the fleece gets too dirty (this is a failsafe all fleece rollers have).

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, hand crank. In order to avoid wasting any fleece you don't usually need to advance too much - but this is going to vary greatly for your specific tank requirements. Depending on how often a day (or every few days) you want to do this, you'll want to advance enough fleece to prevent the water from overflowing the sides when the fleece gets too dirty (this is a failsafe all fleece rollers have).
Thank you! I watched the video too! Excited to see how it works.:)

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got 2 X Filter roller mats and how long they last depends on the micron rating of the paper and how dirty the tank water is.

My systems are established so the water is clean, I’ve tried 9 micron and it lasted 2 weeks. I’ve tried 32 micron and it lasted about 3 months. I’ve settled on 25 micron in general which lasts around 2 1/2 months

Mine are automatic so advance on there own, but this might give you a guide.

Top Shelf Aquatics

ocpondpoacher

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, a
I’m new to fleece rollers and I got one as a gift for my Waterbox from @ocpondpoacher and I’m so excited to use it in a few hours when I turn my filtration back on…since I just added live coralline spores. The fleece roller is kind of like a toliet paper role lol! How often do I need to roll it? Shouldn’t it last a few months at least before needing to be changed? Does it filter similar to a filter sock…I heard they were better? This is the one I got! https://www.etsy.com/listing/1286901372/
A roll has been lasting me about 2 months but I’m still figuring out what works best. I’ve only had the roller mat on my tanks for about 6 months now. I guess it really depends on how clean you want your water and your tanks bio-load.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
FM
Back