I finally caught the murderer in the act!

BRS

BetterJake

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two months ago I added a couple pieces of live rock from TBSalterwater. I checked the rock as well as I could, unknowingly added a Gorilla Crab to the tank. He ate my entire ricrodea mushroom two nights ago :(

I was walking past the tank and sure enough he was in the act and about to attack my Tuxedo urchin! I would have been devastated if it killed the urchin.

I grabbed the quickest thing I could, my kitchen tongs (just cleaned, don't worry). I got the sucker!

Hope the fish enjoy their crab breakfast tomorrow :)

crab1.jpeg
crab2.jpeg

World Wide Corals
AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
BetterJake

BetterJake

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got Mantis shrimp with TBS rock, that's why I put the rock into a container with saltwater, powerhead and heater for few days and watch for hitchhikers before putting rock into DT.
That was a good plan. I didn't was because it was just a couple of nano pieces, lesson learned. This crab must have just grown really fast.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Super Fly

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a good plan. I didn't was because it was just a couple of nano pieces, lesson learned. This crab must have just grown really fast.
I'd keep an eye out for more crabs then... even though my TBS rocks were placed in separate plastic container to remove hitch hikers few still got into my DT. They were a real hassle trying to remove afterwards.

OP
OP
BetterJake

BetterJake

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd keep an eye out for more crabs then... even though my TBS rocks were placed in separate plastic container to remove hitch hikers few still got into my DT. They were a real hassle trying to remove afterwards.
I added two pieces of nano rock to increase biodiversity in the tank, so luckily not that much surface area.

I remember seeing this specific crab as a baby two months ago and thought it died.. That was until my mushroom went missing. Knocking on wood, but I think that was the only one

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

areefer01

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As noted above I did a similar placement of my rock from KP Aquatic but in my refugium. Easy enough to add a couple pvc risers, egg crate, and rest rock on that. At night with lights off throw in a piece of shrimp so it is under the eggcrate below. Wait a bit then collect what crabs are down there I needed to rehome.

While not my intent I have a mated pair in my overflow box :) Spawn regularly.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back