I don't think this is an emeral crab

ScottF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was supposed to be an emerald crab from saltwaterfish.com. I'm colorblind, but my son says it looks dark blue when it is on the underside of the rock with my phones flashlight on it. Though the blues were on at the time.

Does this look like an emerald? I thought they were supposed to be smoother. I've seen it picking at a leather coral and I think maybe it is picking at a hammer as well. Sorry for the overly blue saturation from my lights in the picture.

20241010_104951.jpg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's hard to tell with the saturation, but it does look "furrier" than a usual emerald to me.

I would also note though, that I have caught emerald crabs eating health LPS corals. They live in my refugium now, I don't trust emerald crabs.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a good way to catch them? Hang an expensive torch in there for it to latch onto and yank it out? lol
There are some ways to trap them, a bottle trap for example, do a bit of online research. The best way for crabs I have found though is to quickly net them, grab them with tongs, or remove the rock they're attached to and remove them from the rock.

OP
OP
ScottF

ScottF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got him with the net. He now resides in my refugium. I still think it doesn't look smooth enough to be an emerald, but I'm nowhere close to an expert.

20241010_121008.jpg

OP
OP
ScottF

ScottF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And it only cost me half a head of my Supernova Hammer and a ticked off Neon Green Tip Toadstool Leather. Hopefully the whole head doesn't die.

I think it was messing with my Nexus Joker BTA as well. It looked like it was trying to grab a tentacle when I was taking the picture.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep, crabs can be jerks. I don't trust large hermit crabs either, I caught one snacking on a healthy micromussa. Refugium resident material.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back