I am doomed! Red cyano bacteria

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've used red chemiclean twice inspite of strong advocacy against using this perhaps toxic substance. when I do it, I transfer many of my valuable coral to a second tank. It's been 10 days since I used to chemiclean it worked for three days and here I am. i've even recently created a nice refugium section inside my sump with plenty of devils tongue and cheato, which I have lit 12 hours a day. this cyano strain is relentless!

I AM DOOOOOMED!!

IMG_6761.jpeg IMG_6762.jpeg IMG_6763.jpeg image.jpg

danreef55

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi ballyhoo,
what are your phosphate and nitrate levels?
do you have adequate flow low in the tanks?
Then we can try and help

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of flow. I have a reef wave which I set at 40% random. Then I bought a little Nero which I kind of set it low like 20% and I have my regular pump running at 55%. P03 about .012. Nutrients are a little bit high last time I checked that's why I'm setting up the refugiium. NO3 are like 50. also, and I wake up in the morning and there really is no red cyano but I know my coral need a lot of light. All that stuff going needs a lot of light.

danreef55

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting you nitrate down to 10-15 will greatly assist in mitigating GHA. The fuge is a great addition. Did you do a water change after the ChemiClean ? You got this and aren't doomed :)

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manual removal and dose live phyto. Cleared mine up.

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano doesn't care if your nitrate is 5 or 50. it's not gonna consume / convert any more or less than in needs to survive. Trying to fight a bacteria with nutrient reduction isn't gonna work. If your sick of trying the erythromycin find a good bacteria that will benefit your whole tank and outcompete it naturally.

danreef55

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano doesn't care if your nitrate is 5 or 50. it's not gonna consume / convert any more or less than in needs to survive. Trying to fight a bacteria with nutrient reduction isn't gonna work. If your sick of trying the erythromycin find a good bacteria that will benefit your whole tank and outcompete it naturally.
Adding beneficial bacteria is certainly advisable. Let's take a look at nitrates.... if the GHA has peaked utilizing in excess of 50 reducing it to 5 will certainly starve at least a portion of the GHA.

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding beneficial bacteria is certainly advisable. Let's take a look at nitrates.... if the GHA has peaked utilizing in excess of 50 reducing it to 5 will certainly starve at least a portion of the GHA.
What GHA?

Did I miss something?

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Those pictures showing the red *between* the larger grains of sand and not forming mats over everything also points to dinos

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably dinos... you dose chemi clean to get rid of cyano and dino follows... this happens a fair amount of time...

You often trade one problem for another with chemi clean because it effects more than just cyano.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we have some clear white light pics?

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
well they just so red i thought red cyano
Was your phosphate at .012 a typo? Because that’s basically zero so that would probably be your culprit for the dino bloom.

.1 should be your floor especially with nitrates that high.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back