Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have baby peppermint shrimp. Got three of them about 1 month ago and my wife just sent me this video.
We have a skunk cleaner shrimp, pistol shrimp, YWG, and two clowns. Would be fun if they survive.

https://youtube.com/shorts/4kZ5XTCTm08?feature=share

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods

Idech

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a picture of your sumpless reef tank?
Sure ! The first one is from yesterday.

1680920118565.jpeg

1680920150140.png

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
D

dnprall

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you feeding the tank any BBS/pods/etc. for the babies to eat?
I feed the fish (clowns x 2 and YWG) frozen brine shrimp and I also give the tank a mixture of some Hikari Seaweed Extreme and Hikari pellets that are supposed to be for carnivore fish (can't remember name). The pellets all sink relatively quickly.

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed the fish (clowns x 2 and YWG) frozen brine shrimp and I also give the tank a mixture of some Hikari Seaweed Extreme and Hikari pellets that are supposed to be for carnivore fish (can't remember name). The pellets all sink relatively quickly.
If any survive with that, let us know - typically you need live prey for larvae to feed on, as most larvae just don't eat unless the food is a specific size and moves in a specific way (and they need a specific nutritional profile to survive too). For shrimp aquaculture, they (at least typically) use baby brine shrimp for this until the larval shrimp are about 2 weeks old, at which point they start adding things like small pellet foods to the diet as well.

OP
OP
D

dnprall

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If any survive with that, let us know - typically you need live prey for larvae to feed on, as most larvae just don't eat unless the food is a specific size and moves in a specific way (and they need a specific nutritional profile to survive too). For shrimp aquaculture, they (at least typically) use baby brine shrimp for this until the larval shrimp are about 2 weeks old, at which point they start adding things like small pellet foods to the diet as well.
Frozen or freeze dried? BBS is new to me.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frozen or freeze dried? BBS is new to me.
The baby brine shrimp is live for aquaculture, not frozen or freeze-dried. It's typically hatched on site in a brine shrimp hatchery, then the proper stage of brine shrimp is collected and fed to the larvae. (Frozen, freeze-dried, etc. brine shrimp wouldn't move, so they wouldn't entice a lot of species' larvae to eat.)

OP
OP
D

dnprall

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The baby brine shrimp is live for aquaculture, not frozen or freeze-dried. It's typically hatched on site in a brine shrimp hatchery, then the proper stage of brine shrimp is collected and fed to the larvae. (Frozen, freeze-dried, etc. brine shrimp wouldn't move, so they wouldn't entice a lot of species' larvae to eat.)
I see now. I don’t think there is any chance of getting some of these where I am.

Will cross my fingers that what I do have is good enough.

I do see pods running around near where the babies are usually so maybe they will eat them.

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Inkbird
Back