Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after reacting too late for one of my hammers (pink) ( now 1 week past, with no visible polyps ), my 2nd wall hammer (green) contracted the BJS and I decided to try a hydrogen peroxide dip,

the green wall hammer had been freshly cut when bought, so it had some natural polyp retraction near the cut area, and the BJS was found on the same side nearest to the cut, ive lost 1/3 of the living tissue so far. with a 1-10 ratio hydrogen peroxide : tank water, for 10mins. I cant wait to see how this turns out,

while I had the dip containers out, I decided to dip the pink hammer, a small gold hammer frag (which fell onto the pink hammer and started this whole thing, also no visible polyps at the moment), a 2month old elegance that retracted on me, and an algae covered zoa frag 1/5 polyps open.

I figure might as well try.

Ill post an update in a few days.

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
GSnake

GSnake

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heres an update,
excuse the picture of a picture, microscope cam wasn't working right. anyway...

the little black things are all the bacteria or protazoans from the jelly sample I took before doing the hydroxide dip hours ago. They were alive and well, swimming around, I was pretty astonished seeing it. I then mixed a little water (few tbsps) from my sample of dip solution I made earlier. after 5mins I saw the oxidization and bubbles forming. I looked through the microscope again, and the bacteria were all goners. nothing was moving!

it looks like the bacteria make a colony of themselves within the jelly, as you can see little egg things nd bacteria living within too.

IMG_20200108_003906.jpg IMG_20200108_003824.jpg IMG_20200108_003815.jpg IMG_20200108_003746.jpg

OP
OP
GSnake

GSnake

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
zoas are currently closed.

Im dipping the hammer again right now. there was a slight jelly formation where the jelly was originally. the far end of the hammer with healthy polyps has been doing well during the past few days.

the new jelly sample I took has about .1% little swimming organisms this time. I could only see one moving in my sample this time.

im hoping I wont need a third dip.

Top Shelf Aquatics

GabeM

King of... something.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
zoas are currently closed.

Im dipping the hammer again right now. there was a slight jelly formation where the jelly was originally. the far end of the hammer with healthy polyps has been doing well during the past few days.

the new jelly sample I took has about .1% little swimming organisms this time. I could only see one moving in my sample this time.

im hoping I wont need a third dip.
How did this turn out?

OP
OP
GSnake

GSnake

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so far the zoas survived the dip, 3/5 polyps slightly open now, which is a first. algae came back on the other 2.

the hammer- no signs of jelly, its sorta sad looking though and hasn't puffed up since second dip. just gonna watch it for now

OP
OP
GSnake

GSnake

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve dipped acans and zoas in 100% hydrogen peroxide for 2 minutes with great results. Glad to see you can dip euphyllia with good results.

just a few polyps left on my wall hammer. I wouldn't say it works on euphyllia just yet.

I dont think I should have done a second dip. but maybe it was unavoidable anyway, for this hammer at least, being freshly cut beforehand and all.

the one thing different about the recession of polyp tissue this time around wasn't cause of reappearance of brown jelly, but the polyps started to bleach. this might be related to the 2nd dip.

~~my branching euphyllia on the other end of tank seem unaffected by the whole ordeal. branching types might be more resistant.

Last edited:
Avast

John3

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found that with Euphyllia you can beat brown jelly with:

Iodine dip
Slow scrub and freshwater rinse off dead tissue
Coral RX dip
Finish by using superglue gel over the exposed skeleton.

The superglue part seems to be key as I did other steps only and the brown jelly came back.

OP
OP
GSnake

GSnake

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found that with Euphyllia you can beat brown jelly with:

Iodine dip
Slow scrub and freshwater rinse off dead tissue
Coral RX dip
Finish by using superglue gel over the exposed skeleton.

The superglue part seems to be key as I did other steps only and the brown jelly came back.

it is worth a shot, if it comes around again. since the jelly is somewhat contagious to the connecting tissue, did you block its path with superglue? essentially putting it on a portion of good tissue as well. sort of like how some others frag the bad portion away

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back