Hybrid dosing (4 part?) for pH control during day and night

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all know about the pH swings in a reef tank. Photoperiod starts, pH raises as the coral and algae consume CO2 and produce O2 (I know it’s the zooxanthellae that make the O2) and at night the pH goes down. Inside air carbon dioxide levels affect this too.

Has anyone used the standard bicarbonate/carbonate formula during the photoperiod and then switch over to sodium hydroxide for night period?

My thought is to boost pH at night with the NaOH in an effort to keep the pH of the system relatively constant.

Thoughts? Randy, wanna chime in?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some folks have tried to stabilize pH by switching additives depending on time or pH, but I’ve not seen any great reports of a benefit from it relative to other dosing schemes.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Miami Reef tried something similar for a while.

@Miami Reef

This thread also discusses the relationships between pH and alk stability:

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to dose Sodium hydroxide during the daylight hours, but now I just dose it hourly because it’s much easier to program it that way.

I maintain high alk (around 10dKH). Higher alk results in higher equilibrium pH. The higher the alk, the more consumption of alk, which means more dosed = greater pH, especially if using hydroxide as the supplement.

I haven’t seen any ill effects of higher alk. Just faster growth and higher pH. A win-win for me. Everything is happy with the high alk.

Ensure your nutrients are always elevated (at least 0.05ppm PO4 IMO and NO3 at least 5ppm) with the high alk approach. No starvation is allowed with that method. :)

OP
OP
Lousybreed

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understand correctly, you can dose the carbonate and hydroxide solutions and this should not cause any precipitation issues. And I will read the articles!

OP
OP
Lousybreed

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to dose Sodium hydroxide during the daylight hours, but now I just dose it hourly because it’s much easier to program it that way.

I maintain high alk (around 10dKH). Higher alk results in higher equilibrium pH. The higher the alk, the more consumption of alk, which means more dosed = greater pH, especially if using hydroxide as the supplement.

I haven’t seen any ill effects of higher alk. Just faster growth and higher pH. A win-win for me. Everything is happy with the high alk.

Ensure your nutrients are always elevated (at least 0.05ppm PO4 IMO and NO3 at least 5ppm) with the high alk approach. No starvation is allowed with that method. :)
So it sounds like it works out nicely!!! Any other pointers let me know!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back