Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TL;DR: I want to increase some flow across the top for my SPS, what approach would you take?

I currently have a mixed reef, that is becoming SPS heavy. My SPS is growing, and doing OK, but I think they could be better. I thought I had pretty decent polyp extension, till I was at my buddy's shop yesterday looking at some of his SPS tanks. I saw the polyp extension he had some of the same acro's that I've bought off him and was amazed. After talking a bit, I'm pretty sure it's a matter of increasing my flow up top.

My current strategy for my mixed reef has been:
  • softies on the right side of the thank, sps on left-middle
  • I have Nero 5's on the right left back walls, and a Nero 3 in the middle on the overflow
  • The right side Nero 5 is running at a lower velocity than the left, as to not blast all the softies
  • The Nero 3 in the center is running at 100%, though it honestly seems to be a bit weak.
Some ideas:
  1. Replace the Nero 3 with a Nero 5
  2. Replace the Nero 3 with an IceCap Gyre 2k hooked up to my Hydros ecosystem.
  3. Leave the Nero 3 where it's at, and add a Gyre 2k or 4k to the right side of the tank pushing flow across the top from right to left.
I think 3 could be a good solution, but I am concerned that the gyre flow may end up pushing the torch's tentacles to start flying around in the areas to the right of it, and start stinging all those corals that it currently never touches.

Thoughts? Other ideas? Looking for advice and feedback.

Photo of my setup for reference
IMG_4301 3.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

doubleshot00

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size did you go with?
Reefwaze 25. Been running it at 10% until today. Just turned it up to 20%. It moves a lot of water. But if money is no object I would get the new Maxspect ones. I was invested into the red sea app and mobius. 3 apps to run my tank.

OP
OP
anthonymckay

anthonymckay

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I bought an IceCap Gyre 2k to run with a hydros wave engine controller. Gotta say, I'm pretty underwhelmed by the gyre 2k... The flow seems pretty weak, and it's super loud compared to all my Nero's. I dialed it back a bit to bring the noise down, but the flow leave a bit to be desired. I think I'm gonna end up selling it and maybe just upgrade that Nero 3 in the middle of my tank to a Nero 5 unless someone has a better suggestion.

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Kessil
Back