Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to upgrade from a 29 to a 75 gallon. Would I have to have the new tank and old tank both running and having the new tank cycle? I also have a mandarin goby how would I feed it without an established copepod culture? Would I have to let the new tank run for a month?

Top Shelf Aquatics

mike550

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to upgrade from a 29 to a 75 gallon. Would I have to have the new tank and old tank both running and having the new tank cycle? I also have a mandarin goby how would I feed it without an established copepod culture? Would I have to let the new tank run for a month?
There are a ton of threads that talk about how to do this. Really great advice

mrpontiac80

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am in the process of doing this also. I do have the ability to run both as they are in different locations of the same room so I was not forced into an instant transfer although I did consider it.
In my opinion, if you take everything EXCEPT sand and transfer it, it will take care of your current bioload without needing to cycle.
if you don’t transfer the rock and ect, you will need to cycle the tank.
What I did was set up tank with new rinsed sand and new dry rock. I added FritzZyme turbo start 900 and moved over 2 pajama cardinals for ammonia source. I installed very inadequate lighting for my tank size but enough that I can hopefully add east soft corals from the older tank to help add biodiversity.
This is as far as I’ve made it. I chose not to do a quick transfer because I’m finally seeing success with acros and they have encrusted on rock. My rock structure is big pieces and I do have some vermited snails I would like to not carry over.
also I hope to add more fish but want to introduce them in an order.

here is a long thread you might find helpful,
Thread 'Official Sand Rinse and Tank Transfer thread'
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/official-sand-rinse-and-tank-transfer-thread.230281/

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AVAST
Back