Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I’m new to kalkwasser and I’m having a hard time finding an answer anywhere to my question.
How long do I need to mix the kalkwasser powder into my RO water for? I’ve put two teaspoons into a gallon of RO and stirred for 30 seconds to a minute and even after that there seems to still be a ton laying on the bottom of the bucket that hasn’t dissolved. So I stir for 4 minutes and onto 5 but there is still a ton undissolved. When should I stop to avoid over mixing and adding air? Is it normal for it to take a few minutes of stirring to dissolve, or is this just the precipitant I hear about that doesn’t dissolve?
Thanks and cheers!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Garf

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I’m new to kalkwasser and I’m having a hard time finding an answer anywhere to my question.
How long do I need to mix the kalkwasser powder into my RO water for? I’ve put two teaspoons into a gallon of RO and stirred for 30 seconds to a minute and even after that there seems to still be a ton laying on the bottom of the bucket that hasn’t dissolved. So I stir for 4 minutes and onto 5 but there is still a ton undissolved. When should I stop to avoid over mixing and adding air? Is it normal for it to take a few minutes of stirring to dissolve, or is this just the precipitant I hear about that doesn’t dissolve?
Thanks and cheers!
Technically you’re probably adding a little too much powder, but that’s not bad, it just makes sure it’s saturated. Try and avoid pulling the gunk into the tank.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks and cheers!

Note that not all solids will dissolve. Some may be above the ability to dissolve more, as noted above, and some may be insoluble calcuum carbonate from the calcium hydroxide reacting with CO2 before or during use.

I sometimes ran a powerhead overnight in the closed container of limewater to mix, but if you stir for 15 minutes, that will be plenty.

30 seconds was clearly not adequate in my hands. I often mixed up solids from the bottom by manual stirring and could see the conductivity rise in a new batch over 5-10 minutes or so.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Legendary
Back