Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a yellow long-nose butterfly fish. The store manager said he’d be fine in a 55-60 and gave me an OK to keep him in my 50 tall. After some research, recommended size ranges anywhere from 50-125 gallons so I know my tank is small for him.

My 50 tall mixed reef has tons of live rock, caves, arches, and corals/Macroalgae. There’s LPS, softies, and sponges. Current fish includes a pair of adult ocellaris clowns, a baby Valentini puffer, a mandarin dragonette, and now this funky butterfly fish. A 10 gal refugium is attached.

I really love this dude already. How can I make this tank a butterfly fish paradise to make it better suited for him?

Top Shelf Aquatics

pcon

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry to say, don't trust the person trying to sell you something to give you completely accurate information, doubly when it helps them sell the thing, especially when it is what you want to hear not what is probably best practice. I have been guilty on both sides of that equation, so totally understandable mistake. A 50 tall is a really small footprint for any butterflyfish long term. Difficult to balance adequate hiding/foraging space and open maneuvering space, in that size tank. I am not even sure the much smaller atlantic long snout or burgess would be appropriate for that size tank long term. The short nose yellow long nose butterflies, F. flavissimus, get 9" the far less common true long nose butterflies, F. longirostris, get 10-25% longer overall. both way big for a 50 tall. I personally would prefer a 120gal 4ftX2ft footprint as a minimum for long term housing of either species, I could see arguments for slightly in either direction. Butterflies need a balance of open space as not to feel cramped but lots of rock work to pick over in search of snacks, and plenty of hiding spaces to feel safe. Smaller individuals may give you some time to upgrade, but I would recommend beginning that process immediately if you plan to keep yours. It is my experience, young butterflyfish grow quickly. The Forcipiger are quite large at settlement, they have very long larval periods that have enabled their circumtropical distribution. This corresponds to a large minimum size, they simply don't come in tiny like other butterflies, angels and tangs.

Some general sensitive butterfly advice I would recommend feeding frequently with many different options. No aggressive tank mates, or overly boisterous feeders. Ensure a mature tank with lots of microfauna, worms and amphipods, to snack on between meals. A variety of caves of appropriate size to feel safe to sleep in, but plenty of open space such that they don't scrape their sensitive noses trying to get around. When I worked in a fish store, I dealt with F. flavissimus quite a bit, in store and client tanks; they are moderately difficult fish in my experience. Difficult to condition to captivity, susceptible to shipping damage, and disease. They benefit from frequent feedings but tend to be slow eaters, not always able to keep up with more aggressive feeders, so care must be taken to ensure they get some food at each feeding. Some people use feeders like PVC pipe with holes drilled in to allow the long noses access to food before the other fish in the tank, though not all take to such feeders. If yours is eating well thats a big part of the battle. F. flavissimus tend to be less reef safe than the Chelmon butterflies in my experience, though a touch easier than the notoriously difficult copperband. The long, long noses F. longirostris are incredibly difficult, and almost always come in with mouth damage. I have only seen a few, and the far fewer that had been in captivity long term were in the hands of some incredibly talented and experienced aquarists.

Paul B

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do believe what Pcon said about tank size. That fish (like most fish) should be in a larger tank but it can be done. A long nose butterfly will be stunted in that tank as I have had many of them in a smaller tank and they never grew to big. But they didn't live to their lifespan either which is probably 10 years.

I have also spent quality time with them underwater in Tahiti.
The best food for that fish is live white worms, something I feed almost every day. That fish was designed to live on worms. I would also feed small pieces of clam.

Live whiteworm are the best food because they will stay alive in salt water for 4 or 5 days and won't dig into the substrait. Your mandarin will also love them as mine do.

Those fish can hunt for them all day.

You buy a worm starter culture on line and keep them in potting soil. If more people fed these worms they would not have to go on disease forums. :cool:

OP
OP
SimplyVibing

SimplyVibing

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry to say, don't trust the person trying to sell you something to give you completely accurate information, doubly when it helps them sell the thing, especially when it is what you want to hear not what is probably best practice. I have been guilty on both sides of that equation, so totally understandable mistake. A 50 tall is a really small footprint for any butterflyfish long term. Difficult to balance adequate hiding/foraging space and open maneuvering space, in that size tank. I am not even sure the much smaller atlantic long snout or burgess would be appropriate for that size tank long term. The short nose yellow long nose butterflies, F. flavissimus, get 9" the far less common true long nose butterflies, F. longirostris, get 10-25% longer overall. both way big for a 50 tall. I personally would prefer a 120gal 4ftX2ft footprint as a minimum for long term housing of either species, I could see arguments for slightly in either direction. Butterflies need a balance of open space as not to feel cramped but lots of rock work to pick over in search of snacks, and plenty of hiding spaces to feel safe. Smaller individuals may give you some time to upgrade, but I would recommend beginning that process immediately if you plan to keep yours. It is my experience, young butterflyfish grow quickly. The Forcipiger are quite large at settlement, they have very long larval periods that have enabled their circumtropical distribution. This corresponds to a large minimum size, they simply don't come in tiny like other butterflies, angels and tangs.

Some general sensitive butterfly advice I would recommend feeding frequently with many different options. No aggressive tank mates, or overly boisterous feeders. Ensure a mature tank with lots of microfauna, worms and amphipods, to snack on between meals. A variety of caves of appropriate size to feel safe to sleep in, but plenty of open space such that they don't scrape their sensitive noses trying to get around. When I worked in a fish store, I dealt with F. flavissimus quite a bit, in store and client tanks; they are moderately difficult fish in my experience. Difficult to condition to captivity, susceptible to shipping damage, and disease. They benefit from frequent feedings but tend to be slow eaters, not always able to keep up with more aggressive feeders, so care must be taken to ensure they get some food at each feeding. Some people use feeders like PVC pipe with holes drilled in to allow the long noses access to food before the other fish in the tank, though not all take to such feeders. If yours is eating well thats a big part of the battle. F. flavissimus tend to be less reef safe than the Chelmon butterflies in my experience, though a touch easier than the notoriously difficult copperband. The long, long noses F. longirostris are incredibly difficult, and almost always come in with mouth damage. I have only seen a few, and the far fewer that had been in captivity long term were in the hands of some incredibly talented and experienced aquarists.

Thank you for your incredibly detailed advice. I think I will keep him short term at least, to see if I can get him comfortable with my tank. Like I said previously I do have many hiding spots like arches and caves that he’s already chilling in. I spoke to my LFS store again and they recommended I keep him for a little longer to see if he acclimates. Additionally, the butterfly I purchased was captive-bred and according to my LFS friend did “wonderfully” in a 60 cube for several months. He eats great already.

I’m hesitant to keep him because I want to do what’s best for this little fish. I know I have the experience to give him a good quality of life as well as a good hiding space/swim space balance. Fingers crossed.

OP
OP
SimplyVibing

SimplyVibing

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do believe what Pcon said about tank size. That fish (like most fish) should be in a larger tank but it can be done. A long nose butterfly will be stunted in that tank as I have had many of them in a smaller tank and they never grew to big. But they didn't live to their lifespan either which is probably 10 years.

I have also spent quality time with them underwater in Tahiti.
The best food for that fish is live white worms, something I feed almost every day. That fish was designed to live on worms. I would also feed small pieces of clam.

Live whiteworm are the best food because they will stay alive in salt water for 4 or 5 days and won't dig into the substrait. Your mandarin will also love them as mine do.

Those fish can hunt for them all day.

You buy a worm starter culture on line and keep them in potting soil. If more people fed these worms they would not have to go on disease forums. :cool:

Underwater in Tahiti? Lucky duck

I will absolutely get a starter culture of those bad boys. Never heard of them before now actually. Thanks for the advice!

Paul B

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Underwater in Tahiti? Lucky duck

Well thats where they live so thats where I went. If they came from Bayonne New Jersey, I would have gone there as it is much cheaper. :cool: I really went there to study Moorish Idols which are all over the place there but there were also quite a few long nose butterflies. I would post a picture of them but my photo hosting thing isn't working.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
SimplyVibing

SimplyVibing

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thats where they live so thats where I went. If they came from Bayonne New Jersey, I would have gone there as it is much cheaper. :cool: I really went there to study Moorish Idols which are all over the place there but there were also quite a few long nose butterflies. I would post a picture of them but my photo hosting thing isn't working.

Wish I could afford to go diving! I’m on the emerald coast so lots of lion fish to watch. In reference to my butterfly, he’s actually doing way better than I expected. Eats more than my clowns lol! And also swimming and exploring happily. Think I’m going to keep him :)

pcon

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the butterfly I purchased was captive-bred and according to my LFS

i would stop listening to this LFS immediately. I don’t believe anyone is captive breeding these butterflies Commercially. It has only been done a few times by some awesome research institutions. So unless you paid a hefty premium and they provide a detailed explanation of how they came into possession and who did the captive breeding, I would be highly suspicious of that claim.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He sounds like a good reason to plan an upgrade so you can potentially see this fish live out a more normal life span.

Definitely not captive bred lol Lying right to your face.

OP
OP
SimplyVibing

SimplyVibing

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would stop listening to this LFS immediately. I don’t believe anyone is captive breeding these butterflies Commercially. It has only been done a few times by some awesome research institutions. So unless you paid a hefty premium and they provide a detailed explanation of how they came into possession and who did the captive breeding, I would be highly suspicious of that claim.

Thank you!

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

CLICK TO VIEW

Gogoggansgo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine in my 60 and within a year I’ll find him a bigger tank for a home. They’re not good for anything under 125 gallons from what i understand and mine eats everything. He’s absolutely beautiful and has been extremely well behaved

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only butterfly id consider in a sub 100 gallon would be a mexican barber fish. In the wild they for the most part just swim around their “cleaning station” where they pick parasites off fish that stop by. Would not put in a reef tank though. Only member of their genus and only butterfly that feeds this way. Most cover a good amount of distance pecking off rocks.

that said your longnose Is a gorgeous fish, in the right tank if eating you are passed 75% of the issues most have with them. They tend to get mouth damage during shipping.

Gogoggansgo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only butterfly id consider in a sub 100 gallon would be a mexican barber fish. In the wild they for the most part just swim around their “cleaning station” where they pick parasites off fish that stop by. Would not put in a reef tank though. Only member of their genus and only butterfly that feeds this way. Most cover a good amount of distance pecking off rocks.

that said your longnose Is a gorgeous fish, in the right tank if eating you are passed 75% of the issues most have with them. They tend to get mouth damage during shipping.
i got mine from my local LFS

Top Shelf Aquatics
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

SR
Back