How to maintain an empty quarantine tank

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally set up a quarantine tank - it has gone through the cycling period, and now it's just vacant. I need some help in understanding what I need to do to maintain this tank - that is keep the Nitrogen cycle 'alive' for future quarantining of fish....etc.

Is it a myth that good bacteria die off without ammonia to feed, or do I absolutely need to be concern about this and have to put a fish in the tank?

Thanks

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I do is fill my QT tank with my water change water from my DT.

On water change day I pump out most of the qt tank and fill it with water from my display, then refill the display with clean saltwater.

I keep only coral frags, snails and an urchins in there if I have no new or sick fish.

Dread Pirate Dave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a bag of matrix in my DT. When I need the QT up and running I place the bag in my hang on filter for a quick start. Then a fresh bag of matrix is added to the DT. When done with the QT I toss the matrix.

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a rock with some macro algae and a hermit crab in my QT when empty. I feed the crab and run some light for the algae. Always ready for a new fish when needed.

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I keep a bag of matrix in my DT. When I need the QT up and running I place the bag in my hang on filter for a quick start. Then a fresh bag of matrix is added to the DT. When done with the QT I toss the matrix.
I do exactly this. A mesh bag of matrix in my main tank sump. Easy to move to the qt tank when I set it up

Dread Pirate Dave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally set up a quarantine tank - it has gone through the cycling period, and now it's just vacant. I need some help in understanding what I need to do to maintain this tank - that is keep the Nitrogen cycle 'alive' for future quarantining of fish....etc.

Is it a myth that good bacteria die off without ammonia to feed, or do I absolutely need to be concern about this and have to put a fish in the tank?

Thanks
I may have misunderstood the question. You are actually keeping the QT set up so it needs to be maintained on a regular basis, like your DT? Do you also administer medications in the same tank? I do in mine so that's why I break it down and sterilize/clean it out after each use. I want to start fresh the next time I need it. :)

skey44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks
Just curious of reason to setup QT then cycle it to not QT fish? Sounds like you just need to get some fish to QT.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a rock with some macro algae and a hermit crab in my QT when empty. I feed the crab and run some
Just curious of reason to setup QT then cycle it to not QT fish? Sounds like you just need to get some fish to QT.
I will be getting fish for my other tanks, so I want to quarantine them first - can't afford to risk the main DT

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have misunderstood the question. You are actually keeping the QT set up so it needs to be maintained on a regular basis, like your DT? Do you also administer medications in the same tank? I do in mine so that's why I break it down and sterilize/clean it out after each use. I want to start fresh the next time I need it. :)
The QT is used for new fish before introducing them into my display tanks. Also, I want to have on standby in the event that some fish need treatment.

Right now, I don't know what fish I'm getting just yet, so my question was maintaining the tank until the time comes.

skey44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be getting fish for my other tanks, so I want to quarantine them first - can't afford to risk the main DT
Oh I get the reason for QT. Just questioning cycling it and then not adding fish. Sounds like you just need to keep some media in your display and add it before getting your fish. I’m sure you could ghost feed, add ammonia, or add bacteria. Ultimately though it just seems like a lot to maintain. It depends on the timeline too. If you’re talking about getting fish next week or two you’re probably still good. Also depends on what type of bio media you’re using. I like the seachem ammonia alert for my qt. Helps me have some confidence especially once fish are in.

Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back